Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Drive Appearing

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 joebeaven

joebeaven

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 20 October 2008 - 10:28 AM

Hi,

I'm running Windows XP Pro with a second hard drive labelled D and a DVD-ROM drive labelled E. I also have an external hard drive which is normally F.

Today, I have something new under "Devices with Removable Storage" called "CD Drive (F:)". I have not installed a new CD drive and have no idea why this has appeared. Could someone please tell me how to remove it as my external hard drive has now been labelled G which is a problem because I have programs and shortcuts on my computer that reference it as F?

Thanks,
Joe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 20 October 2008 - 10:52 AM

Hi Joe.
Do you have any software installed that uses\creates a virtual drive, like UltraISO and such?

#3 Deathscythe

Deathscythe

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 20 October 2008 - 11:21 AM

That would be my assumption as well. If you have a program such as Daemon tools, It creates virtual drives so you can mount or install programs.

#4 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2008 - 11:52 AM

I have just installed PowerISO 4.2. Could that be causing the problem?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 20 October 2008 - 01:25 PM

Read 4th line on right of ad :thumbsup:.http://www.poweriso.com/

http://www.poweriso.com/

Louis

#6 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2008 - 01:58 PM

OK, Thanks. I'm still not entirely clear on what a virtual drive is, but I can see why it's appeared.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 20 October 2008 - 03:13 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_drive

My interpretation is...a virtual drive appears to be what it is not. In your case, it appears that you have another drive when in actuality...it's just your system using hard drive space/memory...as if there was another physical drive there.

A virtual drive emulates...the existence/use of another drive, without the physical aspects of actually having that drive installed.

Louis

#8 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2008 - 02:29 AM

Thanks, I get it now. The virtual drive allows me to view image files such as iso which would normally need to be burnt to disc first.

#9 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 October 2008 - 02:55 AM

Thanks, I get it now. The virtual drive allows me to view image files such as iso which would normally need to be burnt to disc first.

I am not sure if I can get this right first time?

In the WIN98SE Days, the Start up Disk used to set up a Virtual Drive to take the Drivers to Run Dos Drivers for the CDROM, and other neccessary Programs like fdisk? That used to make the CDROM Drive one letter away? Example if CDROM Drive was normally D: Drive, it became E: Drive. After using it to reinstall WIN98SE or others at the time there was often a Conflict, because Windows was looking for E: Drive from where it was first installed, yet that Drive no longer existed.

A work around then was a little tricky, we used to rename the CDROM Drive as E: Drive! or have WIN98SE on another Partition or Slave Drive Drive and do the install from there, that way Windows knew exactly from where it came and it was quitely still sitting there. That way no annoying looking for Disks, just address Windows to it.

In your Case? I would recomend you firstly change the Virtual Drive Letter to a different one not already used, then change your Original F: Drive back to F: Drive, that should fix it all!

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users