Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AGP 2x

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 yethPC

yethPC

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 20 October 2008 - 06:09 AM

Hi,
Just wondering if somebody knows which brand and model should I go for in upgrading graphics video but my motherboard only supports AGP 2x.I'd like to buy the newest AGP adapter 128 mb with TV out but the sales person does not know exactly if it does support.It just indicates 8x but not sure if the newest out in the market today can still work in old machines with AGP 2x.I appreciate your suggestions ,thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2008 - 06:51 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

What is the card you have in mind...and what is your system manufacturer and model?

If homemade system, same info for the motherboard.

General info (if I recall correctly) is that 8x is backwards compatible with 4x boards/systems and some 2x boards/systems.

We can better provide answers if we know the card and system/board.

Louis

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:49 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerated_Graphics_Port

Pay attention to the "Compatability" section. Unless your motherboard was made early on (97-98) it should support 1.5V cards. More likely problems occur when you try an ancient card (IE Voodoo graphics that needs 3.3V) in a new motherboard with 1.5V support only. As long as voltage is compatable the 1X/2X/4X/8X doesn't really matter as far as compatability goes.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2008 - 06:28 AM

My motherboard is 810e chipset intel whitney.I asked a sales person from one computer store but she was not sure if the card that I chose to buy can be replaced with my built in video controller and that, compatible with my motherboard that supports agp 2x.The new card says only 8x.How would she make it sure that it can be inserted into agp 2x?

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2008 - 08:00 AM

The more I look around, I don't see any 810(E) boards with an AGP slot. The AGP graphics were integrated into the northbridge and none of the 810 boards were made to take a separate video card. Before you dwell on this too long, pull the side off your case and see if there is even an AGP slot available.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 03:42 AM

I haven't yet had a look on it. I was just believed by Everest report that some of its expansion capabilities include AGP and USB(systems).But,in any case,I would still open it up just to be sure.

#7 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2008 - 10:28 PM

:thumbsup: dpunisher , I already checked my motherboard and I found out that I don't have an AGP slot opposite to what Everest reported .Would there be any way to increase my graphics? Coz I only have 32mb ram and there seems to be no other option from the bios to change video memory allocation.Thanks in advance.

#8 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2008 - 03:52 PM

Well, Newegg has about 48 PCI videocards:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....=And&Page=2

It looks like some have TV out. As far as what is better or best, you got me. The last PCI videocard I had was an ancient Matrox Millenium with a whopping 16meg of RAM ( 8meg of Ram I had to buy separately for it).

#9 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2008 - 07:41 PM

It does not have PCI slot either. :thumbsup:

#10 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:50 PM

No AGP+no PCI= SOL

I think you are out of options with that system.

#11 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2008 - 12:40 AM

Thanks, anyway.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2008 - 12:30 PM

Tons of cheap boards and RAM available out there.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users