Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Help! (Windows XP SP2)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 parkd

parkd

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 19 October 2008 - 11:54 PM

Alright, so accidentally, my friend had downloaded a anti-virus that is actually a rogue program named "XP Anti-Virus 2009." There have been previous iterations like "XP Anti-Virus 2008." Well, he thought his computer had viruses or trojans before he had downloaded this, and downloaded it only because he saw an ad for this rogue program claiming his computer had viruses. Now, a pop-up on the system tray consistently spams that he has viruses and that he needs to scan the system. When I first saw this program on his computer, I didn't think it was a rogue program until I googled it and found out that it was. Currently I am helping him clean his laptop, and so far, I have installed Avast!, Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware, Ad-Aware 2008, Spybot Search & Destroy, and Spyblaster. I am also planning on installing Comodo Firewall tomorrow.

I have scanned his system with Ad-Aware 2008 (it crashes when it gets to a certain point though)
Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware (cleaned about 51 problems)
Spybot Seach & Destroy (cleaned 70~ Adware problems)
Boot-Time Scan of Avast! (All put into Virus Chest)

I haven't been able to do a thorough scan with Ad-Aware yet, but I plan on doing that tomorrow as well.
From here, do I just uninstall the rogue program or continue scanning and then delete it? Should I also scan it with ComboFix and Hijackthis? Should I post logs? Thanks for all the help! (The computer is not connected to my network in fear that programs may infect my main computer)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_superbird_*

Guest_superbird_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 October 2008 - 04:47 AM

Hi Parkd,

* First, delete all the rogue programs from the Software-list if you can.

* Second, do a full scan with MBAM, post the logfile in your next reply.

*Third, do this:
Please use the Internet Explorer browser (or FireFox with IETab), and do an online scan with Kaspersky Online Scanner

Note: If you have used this particular scanner before, you MAY HAVE TO UNINSTALL the program through Add/Remove Programs before downloading the new ActiveX component

Click Yes, when prompted to install its ActiveX component.
(Note.. for Internet Explorer 7 users: If at any time you have trouble with the "Accept" button of the license, click on the "Zoom" tool located at the bottom right of the IE window and set the zoom to 75 %. Once the license has been accepted, reset to 100%.)
The program launches and downloads the latest definition files.
  • Once the files are downloaded click on Next
  • Click on Scan Settings and configure as follows:
    • Scan using the following Anti-Virus database:
      • Extended
    • Scan Options:Scan Archives
      Scan Mail Bases
  • Click OK and, under select a target to scan, select My Computer
When the scan is done, in the Scan is completed window (below), any infection is displayed.
There is no option to clean/disinfect, however, we need to analyze the information on the report.
Posted Image
Posted Image
To obtain the report:
Click on: Save Report As (above - red blinking arrow)
Next, in the Save as prompt, Save in area, select: Desktop
In the File name area, use KScan, or something similar
In Save as type, click the drop arrow and select: Text file [*.txt]
Then, click: Save
Please post the Kaspersky Online Scanner Report in your reply.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

#3 parkd

parkd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2008 - 05:59 PM

For some reason, this laptop has been unable to connect to my home network. Meaning, I can't scan it with Kapersky just yet. I have scanned the computer twice with MBAM with definitions from 10/16 (Could not connect to internet to update, got the installation from my desktop.) I have tried connecting via wirelessly and even connected it directly. Nothing seems to work for some reason. Could a virus or trojan have damaged that function? Here's my first and second MBAM logs.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.29
Database version: 1276
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

10/19/2008 9:31:11 PM
mbam-log-2008-10-19 (21-31-11).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 133690
Time elapsed: 2 hour(s), 6 minute(s), 34 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 1
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 10
Registry Values Infected: 3
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 4
Files Infected: 36

Memory Processes Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\brastk.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Unloaded process successfully.

Memory Modules Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{f0d4b230-da4b-4daf-81e4-dfee4931a4aa} (Adware.AskSBAR) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{f0d4b23a-da4b-4daf-81e4-dfee4931a4aa} (Adware.AskSBAR) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{f0d4b23c-da4b-4daf-81e4-dfee4931a4aa} (Adware.AskSBAR) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{b15fd82e-85bc-430d-90cb-65db1b030510} (Adware.AskSBAR) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{f0d4b231-da4b-4daf-81e4-dfee4931a4aa} (Adware.AskSBAR) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{f0d4b239-da4b-4daf-81e4-dfee4931a4aa} (Adware.AskSBAR) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{f0d4b23b-da4b-4daf-81e4-dfee4931a4aa} (Adware.AskSBAR) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\PreApproved\{f0d4b23b-da4b-4daf-81e4-dfee4931a4aa} (Adware.AskSBAR) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\xp_antispyware (Rogue.XPAntiSpyware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\XP_Antispyware (Rogue.XPAntiSpyware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\brastk (Trojan.FakeAlert.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\{f0d4b239-da4b-4daf-81e4-dfee4931a4aa} (Adware.AskSBAR) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\xp antispyware 2009 (Rogue.XPAntiSpyware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:
C:\Program Files\XP_AntiSpyware (Rogue.XPAntiSpyware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\XP_AntiSpyware\data (Rogue.XPAntiSpyware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\XP_AntiSpyware\Microsoft.VC80.CRT (Rogue.XPAntiSpyware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\candice yang\Start Menu\Programs\XP_AntiSpyware (Rogue.XPAntiSpyware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\brastk.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Guest\Local Settings\Temp\GLK17F.tmp (Rogue.EvidenceEliminator) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Guest\Local Settings\Temp\GLK20.tmp (Rogue.EvidenceEliminator) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Guest\Local Settings\Temp\GLK2C.tmp (Rogue.EvidenceEliminator) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Guest\Local Settings\Temp\GLK32.tmp (Rogue.EvidenceEliminator) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Guest\Local Settings\Temp\GLK5B.tmp (Rogue.EvidenceEliminator) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Guest\Local Settings\Temp\GLK95.tmp (Rogue.EvidenceEliminator) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Guest\Local Settings\Temp\GLK9B.tmp (Rogue.EvidenceEliminator) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\AskSBar\bar\1.bin\A2HIGHIN.EXE (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\AskSBar\bar\1.bin\A2PLUGIN.DLL (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\AskSBar\bar\1.bin\ASKSBAR.DLL (Adware.AskSBAR) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\AskSBar\bar\1.bin\NPASKSBR.DLL (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\NPAskSBr.dll (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{202550A8-7A33-4BCA-9586-051D24DDBF8F}\RP954\A0134497.exe (Trojan.Dropper) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hadl.dll (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\XP_AntiSpyware\AVEngn.dll (Rogue.XPAntiSpyware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\XP_AntiSpyware\htmlayout.dll (Rogue.XPAntiSpyware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\XP_AntiSpyware\pthreadVC2.dll (Rogue.XPAntiSpyware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\XP_AntiSpyware\Uninstall.exe (Rogue.XPAntiSpyware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\XP_AntiSpyware\XP_Antispyware.cfg (Rogue.XPAntiSpyware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\XP_AntiSpyware\XP_AntiSpyware.exe (Rogue.XPAntiSpyware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\XP_AntiSpyware\data\daily.cvd (Rogue.XPAntiSpyware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\XP_AntiSpyware\Microsoft.VC80.CRT\Microsoft.VC80.CRT.manifest (Rogue.XPAntiSpyware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\XP_AntiSpyware\Microsoft.VC80.CRT\msvcm80.dll (Rogue.XPAntiSpyware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\XP_AntiSpyware\Microsoft.VC80.CRT\msvcp80.dll (Rogue.XPAntiSpyware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\XP_AntiSpyware\Microsoft.VC80.CRT\msvcr80.dll (Rogue.XPAntiSpyware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\candice yang\Start Menu\Programs\XP_AntiSpyware\Uninstall.lnk (Rogue.XPAntiSpyware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\candice yang\Start Menu\Programs\XP_AntiSpyware\XP_AntiSpyware.lnk (Rogue.XPAntiSpyware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\candice yang\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\XP_AntiSpyware.lnk (Rogue.XPAntiSpyware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\oxujamop.dll (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\U.exe (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\brastk.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wini10251.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\candice yang\Desktop\XP_AntiSpyware.lnk (Rogue.XPAntiSpyware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\candice yang\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\igovekisu.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\candice yang\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\ijjistarter2FxB.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Second one, just came up clean. In case you need it:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.29
Database version: 1276
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

10/20/2008 3:29:02 PM
mbam-log-2008-10-20 (15-29-02).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|)
Objects scanned: 133574
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 8 minute(s), 38 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Edited by parkd, 20 October 2008 - 06:01 PM.

#4 parkd

parkd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 20 October 2008 - 06:12 PM

AVAST! VIRUS CHEST: Infected Files

1. A0134464.sys - Win32:Agent-QNI [Trj]
2. A0134465. sys - Win 32: Agent-QNI
3. A0134485.sys - Win 32: Agent-QNI
4. installer-65659-19-Limewire-English.exe - Win32:Hupigon-KME [Trj]
5. karna.dat - Win32: Trojan-gen {other}
6. karna.dat - Win32 Trojan-gen
7. mstoc.exe - unknown
8. Setup(2). exe - Win32:180Solutions-G [Trj]
9. Setup.exe - Win 32:180Solutions-G
10. weatherstudio.exe - Win32: Adware-gen [Adw]
11. kernel32.dll
12. winsock.dll
13. winsock32.dll

Hope this provides extra information.

#5 Guest_superbird_*

Guest_superbird_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 October 2008 - 03:29 AM

Hi,

1. First, delete all the files in your Avast! virus chest.

2. You can update MBAM manually by downloading this file: http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam/database/mbam-rules.exe (eventually by using an other pc)
Install the updates, and do a new scan with MBAM.

Post the new logfile in your next reply. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users