Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB not recognized?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jenelle

jenelle

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 19 October 2008 - 10:24 PM

Hello. I am new here. I am female, 19 years old, and i just have a little knowledge about computer stuff. Anyways, please help me with my problem! I dunno what the hell happened.

I bought an ipod, it's only 2nd gen, nano. It's not my first time having an iPod. But i was surprised then to see that when I plugged it on to my computer, my computer recognizes it but however it pops out this window "Found New Hardware" and requires the iPod for some kind of a driver? I know this is not supposed to happen since I also have iTouch and an iPod shuffle and also a nano who are all working properly!

Also, Kingston DTI/2gb USB also has the same problem like the iPod's where it requires this Found New Hardware issue. It also happened to the other 4 USBs of my friends. Is there something wrong with my driver? I have 4 usb ports. They seem to be working properly before until now.. Please Please help.

I already went to the Device Manager and found out that USB and Kingston is under the "Other Devices" and they all appear with yellow question mark beside them. I tried the instruction posted on apple.com that says when found new hardware appears, I should type C:\\Windows\INF so that it would be installed but still nothing happened! What really seems to be the problem? I hope for all your help :thumbsup: :huh:

Thank you very very much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 silver threads

silver threads

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 23 October 2008 - 08:07 AM

The problem sounds like you do need up-to-date drivers for your iPod, particularly if you are seeing yellow exclamanation/or question marks next to it in your Device Manager.

As you are aware, the "Found New Hardware" message is your computer acknowledging/recognising "New Hardware" i.e your iPod, when it is plugged in to a USB port. It should be Plug and Play ready and if it is stalling at that point then updating the driver might be what is needed. I would not have thought anything is wrong with your USBs as your iPod is recognised and would not be if your USBs were faulty.

Search on the manufacturer's website for the driver needed for your particular model, download and install it and you might find all is cured.

As to other bits of kit running without a problem, it may be that in those instances the drivers are still up to date.

One other important point, if you are by any chance running Vista, rather than XP, there may be an incompatibility issue with your iPod rather than anything else. Not everything out there is Vista compatible. If that is the case, then you should look for drivers to run on Vista rather than its predecessor, XP.

Good luck!

#3 jenelle

jenelle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2008 - 11:36 PM

hi! thanks so much for answering! by any chance, how do you update drivers? thanks again :thumbsup:

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,546 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 26 October 2008 - 10:15 AM

Background info:

Installing Hardware Drivers - http://www.optimizingpc.com/install/hardwaredrivers.html

Update Those Drivers - http://www.cyberwalker.net/columns/aug00/310800.html

Louis

#5 silver threads

silver threads

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 27 October 2008 - 05:05 AM

Hi again

Hope you have now got your iPod "shaking hands" with your computer. Hamluis has given you two very useful websites to look at, I have used cyberwalker in the past and found it great.

Never give up!

#6 jenelle

jenelle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:16 PM

Wow. I only read the post just now. I haven't tried the links yet. But thanks so much for replying! I will post here as soon as i get the iPod working! Thanks :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users