Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

transferring my stuff on my old hard drive to my new computer?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 allecb

allecb

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 19 October 2008 - 09:33 PM

im going to be getting a dell inspiron 530 soon, and i have a lot of music/videos on my computer that i wont moved over to my new computer....

someone suggested a network transfer... like from a router or ethernet cable. can someone give me step by step instructions how to do this? all i know is, i have a modem hooked up right now..and i think i have a router (it says linksys on it) and thats stored away. what do i hook up to pass it on to the new computer? do i need to buy anything? the cheaper the better...

or should i just try to put my D drive (secondary drive) into my new computer? i dont know how to do that so yeah..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 19 October 2008 - 10:39 PM

If you are transferring from XP to XP you can use these instructions.

If you are transferring from XP to Vista you can use these instructions.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2008 - 11:19 PM

I suggest just putting D: into the new PC, it goes so much quicker that way. Transferring files can be loopy in Vista, I could transfer files between computers but one computer had to initiate the transfer (if I tried from the other PC, I would get an access denied prompt) and I had to indicate which folder could be shared. You need a router and two ethernet cables to transfer files over a network, you could also do it using wireless but it would take a while. The speed of the transfer depends on the speed of the router and the network cards on either computer, if they aren't at least one gigabit per second, it is going to take a while. I did this when I got my new PC. I have over 200 GB of media and both computers along with the router allowed for gigabit speeds. It took about 45 minutes or so.

How to remove a hard drive: eHow - How to Remove a Hard Drive
How to install a hard drive: eHow - How to Install a Hard Drive <<<Note: This is for older IDE drives, SATA drives install in a slightly different way. SATA drives don't have jumpers, you just simply install them.

Edited by DJBPace07, 19 October 2008 - 11:19 PM.

3939.png

#4 allecb

allecb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2008 - 01:09 AM

I suggest just putting D: into the new PC, it goes so much quicker that way. Transferring files can be loopy in Vista, I could transfer files between computers but one computer had to initiate the transfer (if I tried from the other PC, I would get an access denied prompt) and I had to indicate which folder could be shared. You need a router and two ethernet cables to transfer files over a network, you could also do it using wireless but it would take a while. The speed of the transfer depends on the speed of the router and the network cards on either computer, if they aren't at least one gigabit per second, it is going to take a while. I did this when I got my new PC. I have over 200 GB of media and both computers along with the router allowed for gigabit speeds. It took about 45 minutes or so.

How to remove a hard drive: eHow - How to Remove a Hard Drive
How to install a hard drive: eHow - How to Install a Hard Drive <<<Note: This is for older IDE drives, SATA drives install in a slightly different way. SATA drives don't have jumpers, you just simply install them.

i think ill just put in the hard drive cause i would like to have a hard drive dedicated to media just incase my main drive gets a virus and i have to reformat or something...

is there any reason why the hard drive wouldnt work? i know my computer is pretty old...old enough to have less than 400mb of ram. and i am transferring from xp to vista btw. and is there anyway to screw up the hard drive somehow? like unplugging it wrong or something, then hooking it up to the new computer and everything is wiped?

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2008 - 01:43 AM

It should work, newer PC's use SATA drives. If the old hard drive is IDE, you'll have to use that to connect it. Many CD and floppy drives are connected using an IDE cable so you should be able to use the same cable to connect the old hard drive. Some newer PC's use SATA only, if that is the case, you are limited to either using your home network to transfer the data or put it on removable media such as recordable DVD's or CD's. If none of those options suit you, you can purchase an external hard drive enclosure. All you do is place your old hard drive in the enclosure, connect a couple of cables, then plug in the drive. On my old PC, I used an old external drive along with an old 30 GB MP3 player to transfer the data. Then, when I got this new PC, I used the home network.

3939.png

#6 allecb

allecb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2008 - 11:47 AM

is there anyway to find out what the dell insipron 530 uses?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 20 October 2008 - 12:04 PM

Inspiron 530 seems to be only SATA, http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/dell-insp...?tag=mncol;psum

That's easily overcome.

If you have a router...I guess I have question why you are not using it. Not only is it a convenience, but it's also a security device.

Network transfers of large files are fine, I do it all the time.

But, if you want the transfer to go faster...I suggest buying an inexpensive controller card and installing it in the new system. This card would also provide you the opportunity of using your PATA/IDE drive as storage for backups, whatever...in fact, you could just move the drive from the old to the new system.

Example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16816132012 This card gives you the capability of connecting 2 additional SATA drives and 1 PATA IDE drive.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users