Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why is scan disc starting every time I restart PC

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 vin3yard

vin3yard

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 02 May 2005 - 07:40 AM

Recently, my scan disc begins with normal startup of my PC. Whether I shut it down totally, or "restart", I get the scan disc that says improper shutdown was detected. This is not the case. It seemed to begin when Trend Micro send an email saying that one of their update patches was bad and that it caused PC's to consume resources. I have removed that patch but I'm having the problem indicated above. I'm wondering if I've quarantined something in Ad-Aware that I should not have. Recent quarantines include ISIB, Quadrogram, Peopleonpage, and cookies. Also, my boot log shows dynamicload failed "00086FAF" and failed "windows\system\msexreg.exe" and windows\system\ide21201.vxd. Does this mean anything to anyone?? I always have to cancel my scandisc because it keeps restarting. This happens even if I disable system restore and my antivirus program. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

(And scan disc is not in my list of startup programs)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2005 - 09:03 AM

Hi vin3yard and welcome to BC

What is your operating system?

I always have to cancel my scandisc because it keeps restarting

Until you allow scandisk to finish, that will reoccur. It won't stop trying until it completes.

Take a look at your scandisk.log. It can be found at C:\scandisk.log. There may be some pertinent info there.

ide21201.vxd. - This is a Windows utility that identifies hard drives. The fact that it is failing to load could be because it has recently been reported as a trojan and is posssiblly quarantined. The best way to fix that would be to extract it from your OS CD. If you can't extract it, don't worry about it. The Load command may have been placed by the malware. This is currently the second most prevalant threat being reported by Pest Patrol.

msexreg.exe - Threat category: AdwareSource: msexreg.exe,Description: The compressed file msexreg.exe within C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\netut80ex.vxd is a Adware threat.

See above. A failed load is a good thing sometimes. Viruses frequently put Run or Load commands in your Win.ini and System.ini and registry for their own purposes. If your AV programs remove those files without removing the bogus run commands then your bootlog will report the load as failed, even though there is nothing wrong with that.

00086FAF - What is the line in your bootlog above that?

A clean bootlog with no failures is a very rare thing. Something that I have never seen.

Let scandisk complete and your problem should go away.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 jbravo

jbravo

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2005 - 12:09 AM

As far as scandisk is concerned, there may b some bad sectors in your hdd.

#4 blondie101172

blondie101172

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2005 - 12:17 AM

i need help who do i talk to???

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 03 May 2005 - 06:21 AM

blondie101172 - find the most suitable forum for your situation and start your own 'New Topic'. Say as much as you can about your system and a brief description of your problem and people will be along to help you soon.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users