Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE6 problems after upgrading XP Home (w/IE7) to XP Pro

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 aanight

aanight

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 19 October 2008 - 07:05 PM

Hello.

My Internet Explorer 6 is not functioning properly. Symptoms include the inability to access web shortcuts or to use the address bar for navigation without IE6 freezing and eventually crashing. Also, anything involving opening web pages in additional browser windows results in a freeze-and-crash. I am certain that this problem is not due to malware or viruses. (Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Norton find nothing; In general, the computer runs great, internet activities are still a breeze with Firefox 3, and IE6 browsing is possible, although horribly frustrating, given the above constraints.)

For my work, I was required to upgrade from Windows XP Home to XP Professional. I was using Internet Explorer 7 at the time and have since found that not having uninstalled IE7 first has likely caused my IE6 problems.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917964/

Upgrading to IE7 again works fine, but unfortunately, I am also now required by my work to run IE6 . I have used many methods to restore, repair, and reinstall IE6 - including an in-place reinstallation/repair of XP Professional without IE7 on my computer.

Despite a .dll-resetting method and various light system tinkering, my extremely helpful and motivated under-warranty support wasn't any more successful.

I would prefer to stay away from registry files, but my absolute last resort is a complete fresh XP install. (FYI: All XPs involved are SP2.)

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions anyone offers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:12 AM

Hi aanight.
The easiest way would be to just use the standalone version of IE6.
You can get it here. There is no installer, just extract the zipped files into the same (but seperate) folder.
Afterwards, create a shortcut to iexplore to launch it. It will need firewall permission of course. :thumbsup:

Edited by HitSquad, 20 October 2008 - 08:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users