Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk space lost

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zhaul-san

zhaul-san

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 19 October 2008 - 06:23 PM

Hi, I have been trying to figure out what is wrong. sometime ago I noticed that the readings from properties, disk space reporter are not consistent. I wil try to explain. Please forgive my english for it is not my native lang.

My laptop has a 40gb hd with 2 partitions.

Used space in dsk c: according to properties is 5.03 Gb and 12.49 free space.

Disk Space reporter reads 4.17 gb of used space So were did the .86 gb of space went.

In Disk d: sometimes has been up to 2 gb of difference. right now I reformatted.

When defraging dsk d: I have read many A???????.exe or .dll files which cannot be located or seen by any other program but the defrag client. When I detected this the first time I called my technician who advised to reformat which I did.

I have reformatted my D: partition 3 times. due the reading of this files by defrag. I have run several antivirus, spyware, maleware, and everything comes clean. no infections detected. But it is very weird that my disk space starts to disappear for some invisible files.

Please advice. Any help to understand or get rid of this problem will be highly appreciated

I already posted in the thread Am I infected? and after following instruction the person who helped concluded that it might not be a maleware problem.

Edited by zhaul-san, 19 October 2008 - 06:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2008 - 07:34 PM

a.exe is registered as the W32.Ahlem.A@mm worm which is transmitted via e-mail and attempts to install itself on your computer. This process is a security risk and should be removed from your system.

Sometimes Malwarebytes can miss things. That's why we scan with multiple scanners. This is normally done in the HJT forum. Read the preparation guide:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Edited by garmanma, 19 October 2008 - 07:38 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 zhaul-san

zhaul-san
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2008 - 05:17 PM

Thanks,

I just finished doing all instructed suggestions on the link you posted. And just finished the Hjthis. I have the log. what is next, should I post all the reports and results in the highjack this forum? Please advice.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2008 - 07:02 PM

Post here
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 zhaul-san

zhaul-san
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2008 - 09:02 PM

Ok I have posted. thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users