Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

this application has failed to start because msi.dll was not found

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 beesgirl

beesgirl

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 19 October 2008 - 05:39 PM

I get this error whenever i try to download anything. I dont know if this is all the same problem or a bunch of different ones but my add/remove wont open and i cant update through microsoft website or turn auto update on. Its driving me crazy any help is appreciated. running windows xp not sure what other info you may need. I have tried starting windows installer in the services thingy but it wouldnt start said it timed out. I dont have a windows cd I bought this pc used, also it wont let me use the system restore either. when i try to use those things (add/remove or system restore) i click on them and nothing happens. when i try to open security center to turn on updates i got the message that it is stopped and needs to be restarted when i try to start it i get this message....could not start the security center service on local computer. Error 126: the specified module could not be found. again im sorry if this is all confusinig but im not sure if its all related or not. thanks again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2008 - 06:00 PM

Repair/reinstall the Microsoft Windows Installer:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315353
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 beesgirl

beesgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2008 - 06:07 PM

ty for replying i just tried that from your link provided and when i typed msiexec.exe /unregister in the cmd and hit enter i got this error. this application failed to start because msi.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2008 - 06:28 PM

The other thing I can think of is to try sfc /scannow. Do you have a XP CD?
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 beesgirl

beesgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2008 - 06:33 PM

no i dont have the cd i bought this pc from a rent to own place and os was already on it. i have tried that sfc/scannow it doesnt work either. but ty anyways for taking time to answer! if i restore with ctrl and f11 would that fix it? is there anywhere to download the missing file? sorry but im next to clueless.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2008 - 08:11 PM

That will take it back to the day it left the factory. You will lose you documents and such

Edited by garmanma, 19 October 2008 - 08:12 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

#7 beesgirl

beesgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2008 - 06:41 AM

ok ty

#8 beesgirl

beesgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2008 - 06:35 PM

well i fixed it! i took a huge chance though so i wont advise anyone else to do it. But i searched for a download of the missing file found a dll download site and downloaded it put it in the correct folder and it worked like a charm! I know I took a HUGE chance downloading somthing like that but either way broke computer or the way it was, was driving me nuts. But anyways just wanted to let you know i got it.

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2008 - 07:04 PM

If it's a last resort, why not. Glad you got it working
Mark
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users