Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Kahu

Kahu

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 02 May 2005 - 05:47 AM

I got a virus/spyware (bhoass.dll) a week ago that norton couldnt get rid of
. I searched around, but couldnt find much on removing it. there was a germa
n site and another one I found that had some removal instructions. I followed the instructions and deleted bhoass.dll using regedit. Well.. stupid me.
I deleted some other bho stuff as well without thinkin. anywayz.. I didnt back up my registry like I should have and now im in trouble.
Windows doesnt fully boot. I can see only my desktop background and nothing
else. I can open the taskmanager by ctrl alt del and browse from there, but
thats it.

I bought a harddrive a few months back and I copied the contents over to the
new harddrive so I could just switch drives. well. it was missing some boot sectors or something and didnt work out, so I just used the hdd as a secondary drive. Im hoping that I somehow backed up my registry files onto the secondary drive. What reg files do I need to copy over?, what are they saved as?, and where are they located?
is there a way to repair the deleted bho's manually?

btw.. im running windows 2000

thnx in advance!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 skimble

skimble

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2005 - 06:54 AM

:thumbsup: There are a couple of options.

I had this problem twice on a PCs that I repaired for friends but using XP.
The problem seems to lie in a corruption of Explorer (Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer are closely related).

Try this first.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q256194

Open Task Manager by pressing 'control, alt and delete'.
Click. 'File''New Task',
Type in 'control.exe netconnections'.
This should open your dial up folder.
Connect to the Internet using your ISP connection.
Again from Task Manager click 'File''New Task'.
Type in 'C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iesetup.exe'
If it stalls go back to 'New Task' and type in 'appwiz.cpl'
This will bring up add/remove programs.
Remove Internet explorer and then go back to IE setup.

If you don't get any joy with this you may have to reinstall Windows.
You could do this on another hard drive so that you can retrieve your files from your original drive.

Reloading Windows, however, shouldn't delete your files unless you reformat.(That's a big 'shouldn't').

This should explain it.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q306952

#3 skimble

skimble

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2005 - 06:57 AM

:thumbsup: I missed out an 'or' if the first Microsoft option doesn't work.

#4 Winnipeg

Winnipeg

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 02 May 2005 - 06:52 PM

You have xp, so why don't you just restore your system. Have you tried this.
GoTo > Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools and scroll down to > System Restore.

If that doesn't work then use Last Known Good Configuration.

Hope this helps.

Winnipeg :thumbsup:

#5 Kahu

Kahu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2005 - 07:24 AM

neither the microsoft fix or the iesetup fix worked. Its still booting up to the blank desktop. Im pretty sure it has to do with the bho's i deleted.

I disabled system restore to remove some stupid virus' and I never re enabled it. also.. when I use the last known good configuration option, it just boots up the same... with only the desktop background.

heres my question. What file does regedit open? Id like to try to replace this current file with the older one from my new hdd.

thanks in advance!!

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2005 - 05:36 PM

I'm pretty sure its a combination of system.dat and user.dat (don't quote me on that) but I wouldn't try doing what you are suggesting.

EDIT: Just noticed you have 2000. If you have the CD you can run that and reinstall without formatting, just rewriting the installation. You'll have to do the updates afterwards.

Backup copies of your registry files (in the %systemroot%\Repair folder)

This might help.

Differences Between Manual and Fast Repair in Windows

Edited by Leurgy, 03 May 2005 - 05:54 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 Kahu

Kahu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2005 - 06:28 AM

I'm pretty sure its a combination of system.dat and user.dat (don't quote me on that) but I wouldn't try doing what you are suggesting.

EDIT: Just noticed you have 2000. If you have the CD you can run that and reinstall without formatting, just rewriting the installation. You'll have to do the updates afterwards.

Backup copies of your registry files (in the %systemroot%\Repair folder)

This might help.

Differences Between Manual and Fast Repair in Windows

would I still have all the same programs installed? I tried using the fast and manual repair. neither worked.

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2005 - 06:37 AM

To be honest I've never tried it with 2000 but I'm sure it will work. An "over the top install" overwrites your system files thus replacing the missing/bad ones. Just don't let it format. You will need to do the windows updates again. Disconnect from the internet and close all running programs. This won't affect your program files unless they have altered a windows system file to make it compatible for their own use. In that case you can reinstall the program, but if it happens it won't be a major problem.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#9 Kahu

Kahu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2005 - 08:27 PM

I chose not to reformat and this is what came up next:

CAUTION A \WINNT folder already exists that may contain a windows installation. If you continue, the existing windows installation will be overwritten.
All files, Subfolders, User accounts, Applications, Security and Desktop settings for that windows installation will be deleted. The My Documents folder will also be deleted.

any other options fellaz?

#10 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2005 - 08:41 PM

Thats all I can think of. If thats what it is, thats what it is.

If you have another computer, slave the C: drive that won't boot, get your important stuff off and put it back and reinstall.

I bought a harddrive a few months back and I copied the contents over to the new harddrive so I could just switch drives. well. it was missing some boot sectors or something and didnt work out, so I just used the hdd as a secondary drive.

If this drive has redundant info to the C: that won't boot, switch them and install your OS on that drive. Your data is safe on the current C:

Sorry I can't come up with more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users