Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Running Slow

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 geotan

geotan

• Members
  • 374 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 19 October 2008 - 05:21 PM

Running Vista Home Basic.
For the past few days my computer has been running very slow. It can take up to 5 minutes to access a page on the net. Sometimes it Timesout. If I try to watch a video on Youtube it stops every few seconds to buffer. The same if I try to watch news video on Yahoo News.
I have done a Defrag, disc clean up, run Malwarebytes, CC Cleaner, AdAware, Super AntiSpyware and AVG. I have also done a restore. All without any improvement.
I have not had an increase in the number of processes running [61].
Any help would be appreciated as I do not know what to check next.
Thank you.
GEORGE.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 19 October 2008 - 10:53 PM

61 processes seems a bit excessive, I have about 20 in Vista 64-bit. There might be too many things running. What is your computer's specifications?

Edited by DJBPace07, 19 October 2008 - 10:54 PM.

3939.png

#3 geotan

geotan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 374 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2008 - 06:16 AM

I have had 61 processes running since I bought the computer. To be honest I do not know which if any are needed and are not.
My system

Dell Vostro 200 Intel Celeron CPU 420@1.6Ghz 1Gb RAM 32Bit.
That is all the information I can find.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2008 - 01:25 PM

I think your PC may be slowing down because it cannot handle the load. I had a PC that has your computer's specifications. It was slow because Vista should not have been installed on a system that slow, it simply used too many resources. Couple that with the 61 processes and your computer's performance would degrade. What exactly are the processes running?

3939.png

#5 geotan

geotan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 374 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2008 - 02:11 PM

How can I copy the tasks to list tem here. I tried a copy/paste but it does not work. How do I do a screen shot?

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2008 - 02:55 PM

You can take a screenshot if you wish, typing in all of those processes would be too time consuming.

3939.png

#7 geotan

geotan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 374 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2008 - 05:06 PM

I have followed the Bleeping Computers instructions for enabling the Snipping Tool but it is not listed under Windows Features. Is there another way to take a screen shot.
Windows Home Basic.

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2008 - 05:26 PM

Yes, if you press the print screen key on your keyboard, also called PrtScrn or SysRq key. This creates a screenshot of the entire PC screen

3939.png

#9 geotan

geotan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 374 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2008 - 05:58 PM

I have attached my screen shot as three files. If I have done it wrong please let me know how I should do it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users