Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless connection MUCH slower than wired

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 gracecaptive

gracecaptive

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 19 October 2008 - 04:17 PM

I have just moved, and in the process broke my old Linksys wireless router and bought a new one. I haven't had a decent connection since. Wired connections get 7.6Mbps, but wireless it's well under 1.

Security options make no difference. It's not an issue of distance (I could reach out and touch the router right now). There are two laptops, both of which are fine elsewhere. One connects but is very slow, the other either never gets an IP address or it freezes on "Validating Identity" (I have never seen this before). I have tried reinstalling the router driver.

The wireless icon says transmitting at 54Mbps, and the signal strength to the router is excellent. I also make sure that the transmission speed on the router was 54M at the suggestion of the Linksys troubleshooting page.

Any suggestions? Besides taking a hammer to it, I'm out of ideas.

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users