Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Another Newbie

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Trezz

Trezz

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 19 October 2008 - 03:50 PM

Hi-
I'm a 50-something guy in New England, who's been using PCs since forever. (Well, almost forever- Does since 1984 = forever? I still resort to DOS commands from time to time.)

Up until now I've been able to muddle through most of my techie problems because I was always friendly with the tech support guys/gals at the big insurance company I work at. They would come by to fix problems on my PC, or another co-worker's PC, and I'd ask their advice. I got pretty spoiled. Now, everything is done using SMS(?) and/or remotely, so I hardly ever see a techie.

Anyway, I'm having problems with my wife's computer- slow startup, whacky things happening during startup, and other wierdness after three upgrades- XP Service Pack 3, Norton 360, and a new HP 6480 printer. So I'm wading through all the good information you guys/gals have posted in an attempt to get the PC humming again.

Thanks for your help, and take care.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 19 October 2008 - 04:09 PM

Welcome to BC
I'm sure our members here can help you in sorting out your problems
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 October 2008 - 04:34 PM

Hello there Trezz welcome to BC :thumbsup:

#4 Doctor Inferno

Doctor Inferno

• Members
  • 503 posts
  •