Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wireless printer networking

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nmaysey

nmaysey

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 19 October 2008 - 03:07 PM

Hello! I have a laptop that runs Window's Vista. My dad's laptop runs Window's XP. Plus we have a desktop computer that also runs Vista. We have recently purchased a Brother Laser Color Printer with 802.11b/g wireless networking. Can we plug this into the desktop and then use our laptops to wirelessly send documents to be printed to this printer....or do we need a router? We are currently using an Alltel router that plugs into an Alltel wireless card for our internet. If we need a router, can we use this one? This router only has one connection left open and it is for another ethernet cable. The printer also has an ethernet plugin available. Can anyone give me step by step instructions how to get this networking hooked up and going? The manuals are confusing. Thanks! ~nona~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,882 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 19 October 2008 - 04:25 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

First, let's clarify your connection setup.

You have a router (Alltel model ???)

A router doesn't plug into a card...a router is the bridge between your system and the outside connection supplied, whether wired or wireless. For broadband, the outside connection device is normally a modem. The computer connects, wirelessly or wired, with the router (or it can connect directly to the modem).

Take a look at the following and then tell us what model number your router is.

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/moredone/wirelesssetup.mspx

In any case, as long as the home network is set up properly and the printer is set up as a shared network device...and each computer on the network is capable of connecting to the network...printing should be a breeze.

http://windows.about.com/od/networking/ss/share_printer.htm

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 19 October 2008 - 04:26 PM.

#3 nmaysey

nmaysey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 19 October 2008 - 08:36 PM

Thanks for your reply. Alltel now has an internet card that is connected with a USB port. They have a router that uses both, this style Internet card, and the old style flat Internet card with antenna. I have my Alltel wireless card plugged into the Alltel router and the router is plugged into our decktop. (the wireless card is being used as the modem. Our laptops access the internet from other places throughout the house wirelessly.

I will look at the links you sent...thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users