Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG Problems

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 honu1

honu1

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:43 PM

I am running AVG Free 8.0.173, Windows XP Home-SP2, Windows Firewall.
After recently downloading Windows Live Messenger 8.5.1302.1018 I notice my AVG iocn in the task bar always shows an exclamation point when I turn my system on. AVG had been running fine until the arrival of messenger. Messenger itself doesn't give me a problem,so I'm thinking there's something AVG doesn't like about it?

What I have been doing when I see the warning in the icon is a manual update+then AVG is fine. I did go to the AVG forum tonight, but too much tech speak for me,I'm afraid.

Checking the history log doesn't show any problems that say are critical, so I don't know. Anyone else have this problem?

Thank you
honu1

Edited by garmanma, 21 October 2008 - 09:12 AM.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 19 October 2008 - 11:09 AM

Hi honu1,

This is not related to your thread, but rather to information you gave in your first post. AVG free is no longer is a stand-alone antivirus program, so if you have a currently updating and updated version of it, you will be using AVG 8.0 which is a security suite. If you do not have this, then you won't be getting any updates. As a security suite, AVG 8.0 has its own firewall, (see its features here: http://free.avg.com/download-avg-anti-virus-free-edition ) so it would be better to turn off your Windows firewall, which is not a two-way firewall anyway but only monitors incoming traffic and not outgoing. To turn it off, go to Start / Control Panel and go down to Windows Firewall at the bottom of the list and click on that. Check the red shield to turn it off.

Edited by garmanma, 21 October 2008 - 08:59 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users