Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scanning for viruses

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Thelonius

Thelonius

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 19 October 2008 - 11:35 AM

I've gotten the BSOD with this stop message and code:

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x00000000 (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The System has been shut down.

and I also can't boot my laptop regularly, in safe mode, nor in the "last good settings" mode. I believe it has to do with malware associated with that antivirus xp 2008 or antivirus 2009 spyware that's been going around (which I think it was Vundo or Virtumone or something like that). I got a lot of that spyware off the computer, but I couldn't get my Windows Automatic Update to work, even after that. A couple days later I get the BSOD.

..... or you'll have to use a boot disk that has an updated antivirus program on it.

(my post was moved to a new topic, so this quote was from another forum)

Exactly how would you boot the computer with the program? Does it have to be a program that's already on it? Also, is it dangerous to boot Windows in the "Disable automatic restart on system failure" mode? Because if that worked, I can try and use anti-spyware programs again, including getting a new HJT log, and possibly looking at the event log.

Edited by Thelonius, 19 October 2008 - 06:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 19 October 2008 - 06:14 PM

I'm assuming this was split from another topic. Can you give us a brief description of what the problem is
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Thelonius

Thelonius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2008 - 06:18 PM

Ok, yeah, I just edited it. Does my edit answer your question some? The main thing I want to know is if it's dangerous to boot it in "Disable automatic restart on system failure" mode, since I can't do safe mode?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 19 October 2008 - 06:23 PM

Try this to see if it will get your computer to boot.

Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2008 - 06:36 PM

You have a HJT log in misplaced logs and also an active log in the HJT forum. While a log is active you are not supposed to make any changes without the supervision of a HJT team member. Do you wish those logs to be removed and to continue here?
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#6 Thelonius

Thelonius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2008 - 06:37 PM

Yeah, see, with this Dell laptop, no installation CD came with it. They put all that stuff, the manual, etc., onto the computer. So, of course, I can't access that.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2008 - 06:38 PM

The main thing I want to know is if it's dangerous to boot it in "Disable automatic restart on system failure" mode, since I can't do safe mode?

No
Mark
Posted Image

#8 Thelonius

Thelonius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2008 - 06:46 PM

You have a HJT log in misplaced logs and also an active log in the HJT forum. While a log is active you are not supposed to make any changes without the supervision of a HJT team member. Do you wish those logs to be removed and to continue here?

Well, the thing is, is that I don't have a current log to give, because I can't boot the laptop, so I don't really know if I was supposed to post in either of those forums. It didn't make sense me to put it in the HJT forum, which is why I originally posted it in the "Am I infected" forum, because I don't have a new log to be analyzed. So, I'm just trying to find any help I can. If it makes sense to delete those topics until I can get a new HJT log, then yes, you can remove them.

Right now, I think I'm going to try to boot without the automatic restart, and work my way from there.

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2008 - 07:08 PM

Yeah, see, with this Dell laptop, no installation CD came with it. They put all that stuff, the manual, etc., onto the computer. So, of course, I can't access that.

You can contact Dell and after proof of ownership they will provide you with a replacement set. The last time I did this, it was free
Mark
Posted Image

#10 Thelonius

Thelonius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2008 - 07:14 PM

Well, I guess I'm going to have to try and order the CD, because it wouldn't boot in the "Disable automatic restart on system failure" mode either. I still got the BSOD. Any other suggestions?

#11 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 19 October 2008 - 07:17 PM

You can create your own Recovery Console CD with this file:

http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2008 - 07:17 PM

At the bottom of this page is a link to order the disk
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...ng=en&cs=#7
Mark
Posted Image

#13 Thelonius

Thelonius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2008 - 11:22 AM

Hope you guys are still watching this topic, I appreciate the help.

You can create your own Recovery Console CD with this file:

http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso

Don't I need to change the boot settings so that it boots from the CD-ROM, or something like that, in order to launch Recover Console?

#14 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2008 - 11:47 AM

Don't I need to change the boot settings so that it boots from the CD-ROM, or something like that, in order to launch Recover Console?

You can also use the recovery partition
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...toggle=&dl=
Mark
Posted Image

#15 Thelonius

Thelonius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2008 - 12:20 PM

I'm thinking that I probably am going to have to take this into professionals (who I know rip you off, but....), because I was looking at the instructions for how to use the Recover Console (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654), and it seems a bit too advanced for me. The commands fixmbr and fixboot seem to apply to me, but I don't want to possibly ruin the partitions as the warnings state there.

Edit: Ok, sorry, I just re-read a post above and it says to use chkdsk /r, which doesn't seem to have the same warnings as the commands above. Guess I will try that.

Edited by Thelonius, 22 October 2008 - 12:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users