Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding external HD 500 gig for windows Vista Home Premium

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 19 October 2008 - 12:11 PM

Hey guys, I just purchased a new External drive and the Vista OS, how shoud I proceed? "Connect the new drive and then load the Vista, right?
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 19 October 2008 - 01:48 PM

hi,,, do you mean your putting an os on an external hdd,,, or you want to use the ext hdd with an existing pc with its os ???
if its the latter then just plug and play,,,, if its the former then pass, i did'nt even know you could do this.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#3 audioAl

audioAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2008 - 04:23 PM

hi,,, do you mean your putting an os on an external hdd,,, or you want to use the ext hdd with an existing pc with its os ???
if its the latter then just plug and play,,,, if its the former then pass, i did'nt even know you could do this.

Your right Figgis, I cannot, I am using Memeo Western Didital to backup my files, then I will install Vista Home Permium. The inatial install failed, I'm glad as I didnt backup. Any more advise?
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#4 audioAl

audioAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2008 - 07:25 AM

Your right Figgis, I cannot, I am using Memeo Western Didital to backup my files, then I will install Vista Home Permium. The inatial install failed, I'm glad as I didnt backup. Any more advise? I also bought the 32 bit and need the 64 bit, I'm headed back to BestBuy.

#5 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 20 October 2008 - 12:11 PM

hi,,,, so let me see if im right,,,, you have got an external hdd to backup all your files to,,, then your going to re format your pc's internal hdd and install vista, then move all the files backed up on the ext hdd back to the new os which is vista,,,
if this is right then you need to plug in the external hdd and format it to ntfs file system,,, then if your just copying your music and pictures etc,,, just drag and drop them onto the ext hdd,,, and then do the same in reverse,,, ie from your ext hdd back to the new os on the pc,,,, if you do a back up so to speak, and then reinstall that backup after changing the os then this will probably fail, as the back was made while on xp and your trying to install it on vista.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#6 audioAl

audioAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2008 - 05:05 AM

hi,,,, so let me see if im right,,,, you have got an external hdd to backup all your files to,,, then your going to re format your pc's internal hdd and install vista, then move all the files backed up on the ext hdd back to the new os which is vista,,,
if this is right then you need to plug in the external hdd and format it to ntfs file system,,, then if your just copying your music and pictures etc,,, just drag and drop them onto the ext hdd,,, and then do the same in reverse,,, ie from your ext hdd back to the new os on the pc,,,, if you do a back up so to speak, and then reinstall that backup after changing the os then this will probably fail, as the back was made while on xp and your trying to install it on vista.

Thanks for the information, I falied to partition the HD, the XP os said rundle error and I cant get XP to Boot. I am going to buy a smaller HD to boot a clean install of Vista Ultimate, 64 bit. I will use the 32 bit DVD for my old Acer in my bedroom eventually. I need to research how to partition a HD. Any suggestions?

#7 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 21 October 2008 - 05:41 PM

You may want to read these two tips:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...-windows-vista/
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...ista-partition/

MS_MVP.gif