Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Insomniac Computer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 chimo79

chimo79

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 19 October 2008 - 08:22 AM

I have a desktop running Vista SP1. I have set my front panel Power button to put the PC into Hibernate. This used to work great. I could push the button and walk away or go to bed. To wake the system I would only need to push the button again and it would fully wake to where I was working within about 30 seconds.

Now it won't stay in Hibernate. It wakes up for no apparent reason and will go back to Hibernate repeatedly. The interval is at least 30 min. but doesn't seem regular. Usually I am not around when it happens or I am asleep myself.

I run Windows Media Center with a Hauppage WinTV card and dual monitors so I can watch TV and work. If I use the WMC PVR function (similar to TiVo), a program set to record during a Hibernate period will wake the system, record, and then go back to Hibernate. At least, it would in the past. Now, the system will probably be awake anyway because of the 'insomnia'.

The Hauppage tuner is the only device I have that I am aware can awaken the system and it behaved properly in the past.

Is there any way (log files etc.) that I can determine what is causing the unexpected awakening.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2008 - 08:28 AM

I would first suggest checking the Power Options in Control Panel, and the Wake On... settings in your BIOS.
Beyond that, I'd check for activity in your Event Viewer immediately after it comes back on (to isolate what's running).
Another option would be to enable the free program Process Monitor (available here: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...essmonitor.mspx ) to log all system activity. BEWARE!!! The log file can get huge (and take up your entire hard drive) - so turn it off as soon as you can!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Guest_BlackBurst_*

Guest_BlackBurst_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 October 2008 - 02:49 PM

When I sleep/hibernate I take my mouse and physically turn it upside down so that no vibrations and jolt it to move the cursor. That seems to prevent the computer from waking up accidentally.

#4 chimo79

chimo79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2008 - 10:09 AM

I did a bunch more testing yesterday. I have examined the Event Logs and the first item I can identify that is logged after entering Hibernate is (after a gap in time) Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) which I believe is a normal system function during the wake operation. There appears to be nothing to indicate a reason.

It is not the mouse since mouse movements during Hibernate will not wake the system.
It is not Norton LiveUpdate (I tried turning it off).
It is not (likely) Windows Media Center or the PVR function since I have nothing scheduled and WMC is closed.
It is not some other application since everything is closed.
It is not a the Windows Backup schedule (I tried turning it off).

The time it stays in Hibernate is much shorter than I thought. In my testing, it never stayed in Hibernate longer than 5 min. and frequently only a min or two.

I have downloaded the "ProcMon" utility and have tried it out but there is a lot of difficult to understand junk in it so I have some studying to do.

My next step will be to search the web to see if this is a common problem with a common solution - or, at least a common and simple method of finding the problem.

#5 ~PrEmIuM~

~PrEmIuM~

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2008 - 10:24 AM

Well my system doesnt wake up from Hibernate with mouse...I using Power I/O button :huh:

#6 chimo79

chimo79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 20 October 2008 - 03:10 PM

A search of the web showed several people with this or similar problems. One popular solution is to use Device Manager to see the Properties of the Network Adaptor. The Power Management tab of this device has several options. The two that were checked on my system were "Wake on directed packet" and "Wake on Magic packet". I unchecked the "Wake on directed packet" and that seems that seems to be a fix.

I could have a problem if I wanted to be able to remotely access the system while it is in Hybernate but that is an unlikely scenerio in my case. I really don't know what may have been waking the system but I feel it may be associated with the configuration of my router/firewall or perhaps the NAS drives I installed sometime around when the problem started. The router has been in place for a long time but I may have altered the configuration when I installed the NAS drives. Naturally, I also altered my backup methods when I installed the NAS. I seem to have found a fix but am unsure what the problem is. :huh:

Such is life.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2008 - 06:31 PM

There are also "wake on" options in most BIOS's nowadays
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users