Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Cleanup

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 honu1

honu1

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 19 October 2008 - 08:14 AM

I am running Windows XP Home-SP2.
Every week I run programs to keep my OS performing as best I can. Disk cleanup,disk defrag,Spybot S+D.
Windows is my firewall. AVG Free is my ant-virus program(runs all the time).
Yesterday when I ran my disk cleanup, I noticed the "set up log files" box didn't have a check mark in it. It also shows that this file(s) contains 2152KB of space. When I highlighted this particular entry, all it would tell me is that it is "files created by Windows". I'd like to clean up as much disk space as possible,but didn't want to mess with this entry as I don't know what may be linked to it+crash my system.

I'd like to know what these set up log files really are+what they have to do with the disk cleanup operation at all.

Thank you
honu1
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 19 October 2008 - 10:22 AM

Setup log files can be used to help troubleshoot installation problems

XP creates the following log files:

* setupact.log-This log file contains a list of actions in chronological order that occurred during the graphical installation phase, such as file copies and registry changes. The OS also stores setup error log entries in this file. XP writes the setupact.log file to the %systemroot% folder (e.g., c:\windows).
* setuperr.log-This log file contains a list of errors that occurred during installation and their severity (this log file should be 0 bytes in size if no errors occurred during installation). XP writes the setuperr.log file to the %systemroot% folder.
* comsetup.log-This log file contains installation information about Optional Component Manager and COM+ components. XP writes the comsetup.log file to the %systemroot% folder.
* setupapi.log-XP writes information to the setupapi.log file each time a .inf file executes, including any errors. XP writes the setupapi.log file to the %systemroot% folder.
* netsetup.log-This log file contains information about workgroup and domain membership. XP writes the netsetup.log file to the \%systemroot%\debug folder.
* setup.log-The Recovery Console (RC) uses the setup.log file to gain information about the Windows installation during repair operations. XP writes the setup.log file to the \%systemroot%\repair folder.

windowsitpro.com

Edited by garmanma, 19 October 2008 - 10:23 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2008 - 10:53 AM

Thanks,Mark
You gave me a lot of information here. Problem is, I don't understand the technical jargon. I still consider myself quite the novice user, so that's why I come to BC.

So......why does this set up log file(s) appear in my disk clean up+do I really want to have the program clean it up?

Thank you
honu1

#4 Guest_BlackBurst_*

Guest_BlackBurst_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 October 2008 - 02:47 PM

In my experience, anything in Disk Cleanup can be deleted safely. It is usually regenerated again when it needs to be.
The only option I prefer not to use is the "Compress old files" option. This is because file compressions slows down
performance when these files need to be used. In some cases it's not a big deal, but for some types of computer users
it's bad, such as people doing video or audio recording.

#5 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2008 - 04:28 PM

Thanks for the input, but...I still don't know why/how these set up files got to be in disk clean up in the first place.
Is this a pre-installed Windows thing,or....something I may have added downloading new apps?
I'm really confused here+don't want to mess up my system.
Thank you
honu1

#6 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:13 AM

Novice terms explanation,please? :thumbsup:

Thank you

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2008 - 10:37 AM

I will have to research a little more before I say with 100% certainty
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#8 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 20 October 2008 - 11:06 AM

Thanks Mark,
I appreciate your taking the time for me :thumbsup:

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2008 - 12:11 PM

I believe it is a setup log for something that you might have had to reinstall and it was overwritten with the newer one
I believe it is safe to remove.. If you are still unsure, delete it to he Recycle Bin, but don't empty the Recycle Bin for a few days. If you need it you can always get it back
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users