Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to know which warnings to delete and which ones not to on AVG 8.0

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 World Pilgrim

World Pilgrim

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 19 October 2008 - 07:56 AM

Hi,

I have read quite a few treads but I'm still a at a loss. My AVG 8.0 picks up many warnings and I'm not sure which ones I'm suppose to delete and which ones are just false positive I shouldn't worry about. I always delete anything saying trojan, worm or virus. However, the ones I'm wondering about are tracking cookies, some being information, system-sys, statcounter, revsci, 2o7, webtrends, casalemedia, atdmt, yieldmanager, and 247realmedia. I read somewhere not to delete everything that comes up as they could be important so I don't know what to do with this.

I read about the conflict with Spyware which I am also using but I'm still not sure what to do or how to recognize good ones (false positive) from bad ones. Can someone clarify this for me. Remember to speak in a computer language 101 as I'm computer dumb in this regard.

Thanks a lot for, always, your excellent advice!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chrisxa

chrisxa

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 19 October 2008 - 09:49 AM

they said a good cookie is a dead cookie.

cookies are used for authenticating, session tracking (state maintenance), and maintaining specific information about users, such as site preferences or the contents of their electronic shopping carts.

cookies are simple pieces of data unable to perform any operation by themselves. In particular, they are neither spyware nor viruses, although cookies from certain sites are described as spyware by many anti-spyware products because they allow users to be tracked when they visit various sites.
Most modern browsers allow users to decide whether to accept cookies, but rejection makes some websites unusable. For example, shopping carts implemented using cookies do not work if cookies are rejected.
-from wikipedia.

you can clear all the cookies in your computer. A new one will be made when you re-visit those websites.
Beneath wings of darkness, wings of death, I dwell in shadows,
Here I have found a kingdom, here I have found a princess; the princess of darkness.
She's the only one I fear, my princess wrapped in shadows, my princess beloved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users