Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Zone Alarm and Norton Antivurus 2009

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Peter Bennett

Peter Bennett

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 19 October 2008 - 07:38 AM

I'm sure others have experienced this. I recently accepted the "kind offer" from Symantec to upgrade my version of Norton Antivirus to the 2009 version for free. I accepted and when I installed, the PC frooze. Nothing worked - mouse, keyboard, etc. Through a process of trial and error I eventually found out that Norton Antivurus 2009 and Zone Alarm cannot live on the same machine. Nothing worked. The machine literally frooze. I had to regain control by going into Safe Mode, installing the Windows installer in Safe Mode (it doesn't run by default in Safe Mode) and then uninstalling Zone Alarm. The machine in now back up and running, althourh I don't think it's 100%. Can't really put my finger on what's wrong. I've now no Zone Alarm. I've got the Windows Firewall switched on. Is there a way of running Zone Alarm and NAV 2009 on the same machine. The Zone Alarm forum has plenty of postings complaining about the issue, but there doesn't appear to be any solution.

Regards to all,

PB
PeterB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 19 October 2008 - 08:45 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

If it's a known, unresolved conflict...it seems to me that the easy solution is to change one (if not both) of the programs involved.

There are free firewalls and antivirus programs that do the job and do not conflict.

IMO, ZA is a historically troublesome firewall for some users, while NAV is a resource hog that will put umpteen files everywhere on a system. No reason to fall in love with either.

I formerly used NAV until 2 years or so ago, but currently use Avira Free with Sunbelt Personal Firewall as my firewall...with no problems. I've also used Comodo firewall and AV programs together with no problems, along with AVG Antivirus and others. The possible combinations are myriad.

Louis

#3 Peter Bennett

Peter Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2008 - 10:25 AM

Dear Hamluis,

Many thanks. I may take these utilitie for a drive.

Since I installed NAV 2009 and uninstalled ZA, when I try to shut down my machine it hangs or stops at the screen which says: "Windows is shutting down......". I have to press the ON/Off button to cut the power. Any idea of what's happening.

Many thanks,

PB
PeterB

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 19 October 2008 - 11:04 AM

I would check for ZA startup markers which may be remaining...and remove same.

I would use the Autruns tool, using only the Logon tab...and disable/remove any startup items that relate to ZA.

FWIW: The Windows firewall works fine, it's just not as "customer-oriented" as a 3d-party firewall. Always an option.

AutoRuns for Windows - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx

Troubleshoot XP Shutdown Problems (MS) - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308029

Louis

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 19 October 2008 - 11:41 AM

I would first make sure that ZoneAlarm is fully removed from the system, then I would use the Norton Uninstaller and make sure Norton is completely removed. The I would reinstall Norton if that what you want to use. I have a feeling that your installation of Norton is corrupted.

#6 Peter Bennett

Peter Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2008 - 12:30 PM

Dear Cryptodan,

Your recommendation worked!. I used the Norton Removal Tool to remove Norton Antivirus 2009. I also checked if I'd any remains of ZA. I'd originally removed it with the Add/Remove utility.

I then reinstalled Norton Antivirus 2007, updated the antivurus utility, and everything appears to be working OK. The machine shuts down as normal. So many thanks.

I just wonder how stable NAV 2009 is?

By the way, this is not the first time that ZA and Norton gave trouble. Also a recent update from Microsoft has trouble living with ZA.

Many thsnks again.

PB
PeterB

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 20 October 2008 - 12:39 PM

Dear Cryptodan,

Your recommendation worked!. I used the Norton Removal Tool to remove Norton Antivirus 2009. I also checked if I'd any remains of ZA. I'd originally removed it with the Add/Remove utility.

I then reinstalled Norton Antivirus 2007, updated the antivurus utility, and everything appears to be working OK. The machine shuts down as normal. So many thanks.

I just wonder how stable NAV 2009 is?

By the way, this is not the first time that ZA and Norton gave trouble. Also a recent update from Microsoft has trouble living with ZA.

Many thsnks again.

PB

Happy Computing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users