Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

no recording tab

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 19 October 2008 - 02:09 AM

Hi to all the good folks at Bleeping Computer !!!
I have a computer with no name on the outside. It has Windows XP Pro on the hard drive and the computer is clean and working, except one thing. When I go the the drive letter, such as "D" or "E" for the cd/dvd drives, and I click on thier properties, all the tabs are at the top except the "RECORDING" tab. Both the "D" and the "E" drives show up in device manager, and both work. They will play music and get programs from discs that are put in the drives. I have another computer that when the properties are checked, I have a "RECORDING" tab at the top.
I want to start making music cd's but the drives won't record anything. The device manager says that the drives are working properly, even though they are not. I have uninstalled them and reinstalled them in device manager and that didn't help.
Any and all help will be greatly appreciated !!!
The measure of man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,257 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2008 - 08:47 AM

Could they maybe be only CDrom's, and not burners?
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2008 - 10:47 AM

How do I tell ? There are no instruction manuals. I looked in properties and didn't learn much.
Thanks for your reply !!!
The measure of man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2008 - 11:22 AM

Generally...just look at the front of the drive...a burner will have something indicating that it is such, e.g. "rewriteable" "R-W" or something indicating that it is not just a reader.

A reader drive will probably only reflect 1 speed and have it noted as "maximum" or something similar.

Louis

#5 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,257 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2008 - 11:33 PM

Look in the Device Manager, when you click on the '+' symbol it should expand and tell you whether or not they are RW's. This computer I'm on now has
"PBDS CD-rom, and PBDS DVD +- RW for drives. So one will burn, the other is only for reading CD's...
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#6 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2008 - 12:04 AM

Thanks to all who helped educate me on these cd/dvd drives. The problem was that it was not a " rewriteable " drive. I have now replaced it with a rewritable drive and all is well. Many thanks to those who help so freely !!!! I hope to help you one day !!!

#7 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2008 - 12:07 AM

Now, will someone please remind me how to close this thread. Or, do I just let it be ? I forgot.

#8 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,257 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2008 - 01:26 AM

Just let er go, and Thanks for letting us know that all is well! :thumbsup:
Ronald Reagan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users