Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

unknown virus wreacking havoc

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mugsy116

mugsy116

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 18 October 2008 - 11:59 PM

I am trying to diagnose a virus in an XP computer. Ran Adaware 2008 and Stinger and came back with a clean bill of health which certainly isnt the case. Uninstalled Mcafee and added Panda. While running a system wide scan the computer shut down and rebooted. With that came the big problems, all of my usb's are disabled, everything listed in device manager under network adapters have the yellow exclamations, along with my display adapter, floppy and modem, along with com and lpt ports, and everything under sound video and game controllers. Its a gateway system with a systme recover cd/dvd which i am hesitant to use. Also task manager is shutoff and the two registry attempts to reactivate have failed. Upon restart Panda came up with these infections ps1.exe,psof1.exe, and sccntr.exe. I am currently attempting another system scan with panda.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 volty

volty

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2008 - 12:09 AM

There are three things you'll get from anyone here offering you advice.

download malbites malaware, and superantispyware, run them in safemode, and then post the logs. and then do it again, and post the logs..again.

will it fix your problem? who knows, but it's the advice you'll be getting from this site. which is kinda frustrating since it hasn't fixed any of my problems.

#3 mugsy116

mugsy116
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2008 - 12:55 AM

panda was able to scan successfully, finally. but i stillhave major hurdles.. I cant activate task manager,but more importantly a ton of drivers are disabled in device manager. I was able to roll back a few of them, but many important devices dont work. I have them listed in my initial post. Its a gateway computer with a gateway xp recovery disk, but i dont know how to find the appropriate drivers on the disk. Some of them wont be on the disk, such as the network card which is out of commission also. any help would be greatly appreciated

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users