Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Pro Driver Installation Help

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 volty

volty

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 18 October 2008 - 10:08 PM

Hello folks.

So, I had a nasty virus/spyware/etc on my computer, SO I decided that the only way to get around that problem was to format the hard drive and do a fresh install of windows XP.

Alright, so that's not so bad, I've done this before, just step by step...pretty simple.

WRONG.

For some reason this time I can not get the video or chipset drivers installed properly.

The chipset driver I'm trying to install are on this page ( http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers...os=Windows%20XP )
The one labeled "D00618-001-001.exe - AMD CPU Chipset Driver 1.3.2.0"

I try to install it and the error my computer is giving me is... " Error The file C:\boot.ini could not be opened"

Okay..so then I tried to get the video driver for my system which is the Nvidia Geforce 6100///nForce410/430

SO, okay...I go to the nvidia website.. and download the driver.. okay, all is dandy so I do a reboot as instructed to do and on the reboot a black screen with a thin blue line is across the top of it.

The only way to get out of this is to do a hard reboot, as there are no options on the screen, reboot into safemode and to a system restore to before I installed the video drivers

OKAY..

so I'm stumped at what to do.

the main problems are bolded in black if you wish to skip over my ramblings.

Other notes of interest:
The OS previously on the system was XP media center edition.. and the OS I put on the system is XP Pro.
The screen is laggy, and glitchy.. which leads me to believe that obviously I needed the graphics drivers...or is that from something else?

Edited by volty, 18 October 2008 - 10:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 18 October 2008 - 10:52 PM

Install your chipset drivers first.

#3 volty

volty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2008 - 11:00 PM

Install your chipset drivers first.

Alright, so I'll system restore to back when I first installed XP with no drivers yet or anything.

k.

#4 volty

volty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2008 - 11:07 PM

same message, the boot.ini could not be opened.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 18 October 2008 - 11:21 PM

right click on boot.ini in c: and go to properties. uncheck read-only

Edited by cryptodan, 18 October 2008 - 11:21 PM.

#6 volty

volty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2008 - 11:24 PM

There is no boot.ini in C though..at least.. not that I can see...

#7 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 18 October 2008 - 11:24 PM

did you run a full non-destructive repair
using your windows xp cd

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

you could also try reseating the RAM

#8 volty

volty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2008 - 11:26 PM

There is no boot.ini in C though..at least.. not that I can see...

so i made it so that i can view hidden folders

ran the chipset driver, and again. same message

boot ini could not be found.

is there a way to make one myself?

#9 volty

volty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2008 - 11:30 PM

did you run a full non-destructive repair
using your windows xp cd

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

you could also try reseating the RAM

I tried to do a non destructive repair using the cd to no avail...

reseating the ram? I haven't touched the computer's insides in two years, I think that it's ok.

#10 volty

volty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2008 - 11:32 PM

also, in msconfig the boot.ini tab that would normally be there..isn't there.

#11 volty

volty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2008 - 12:04 AM

okay...so, I tried to save the boot.ini file into my c drive--I got the boot file from following these directions:

Save a Backup Copy of Boot.ini
1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
-or-
Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
2. On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
3. Under System Startup, click Edit. This opens the file in Notepad ready for editing.
4. In Notepad, click File on the Menu bar, and then click Save As.
5. Right click in an empty area of the Save As dialog box, point to New in the context menu, and then click Folder.
6. Type a name for the new folder, for example temp, and then press the ENTER key to create the folder named temp.
7. Double-click the new folder named temp, and then click the Save button to save a backup copy of the Boot.ini file.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022

and it STILL said that the file could not be opened.

errrrrr?

#12 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 19 October 2008 - 12:20 AM

System Restore from Recovery Console

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is how to do exactly what the title says.

Sometimes I screwed up my machine so bad, that i couldnt boot into windows anymore, not even safe mode. So i looked around for ages and eventually found out how to do it in the recovery console. For anyone who is new to windows, the recovery console can be found by booting up your machine with the XP CD in the drive, and booting off of that CD. Then it will ask you if you want to go to the recovery console, and select that option. The recovery console is basically a MS DOS command prompt, with a little more functionality.

When you get to the recovery console follow these instructions.

Type CD\ then Enter
Then cd system~1\_resto~1 then Enter
Type dir then Enter
When you hit enter it will list all the restore points folders like rp1, rp2 .. If the restore points have more than one page then u have to keep on hitting the <Enter> key to view the last restore point folder. You will have to choose the second to last option folder
Type cd rp {the second to the last restore point no. } (Note: Example: cd rp9, if rp9 is the second to the last restore point where the last restore point no. is 10
Then type cd snapshot
Now the command prompt will look like this c:\system~1\_resto~1\rp9\snapshot
Type: copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system
Press enter
Then type: copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software
Then type exit

If you get an access denied error when doing the above, then do the following at the recovery console:

Type CD\ then press Enter
Type cd windows\system32\config then press Enter
Type ren system system.bak then press Enter
Type exist press Enter

Your PC will reboot, go back into the Recovery Console and then you have access

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,837 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 19 October 2008 - 07:26 AM

Your boot.ini may be corrupt.

I'd try the fixboot and/or fixmbr commands from the Recovery Console of the XP CD.

<<The OS previously on the system was XP media center edition.. and the OS I put on the system is XP Pro.>>

Just to be sure...you did a clean install when making this change? And you have a valid licensed copy of XP Pro that you used?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 19 October 2008 - 07:29 AM.

#14 volty

volty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2008 - 11:53 AM

System Restore from Recovery Console

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is how to do exactly what the title says.

Sometimes I screwed up my machine so bad, that i couldnt boot into windows anymore, not even safe mode. So i looked around for ages and eventually found out how to do it in the recovery console. For anyone who is new to windows, the recovery console can be found by booting up your machine with the XP CD in the drive, and booting off of that CD. Then it will ask you if you want to go to the recovery console, and select that option. The recovery console is basically a MS DOS command prompt, with a little more functionality.

When you get to the recovery console follow these instructions.

Type CD\ then Enter
Then cd system~1\_resto~1 then Enter
Type dir then Enter
When you hit enter it will list all the restore points folders like rp1, rp2 .. If the restore points have more than one page then u have to keep on hitting the <Enter> key to view the last restore point folder. You will have to choose the second to last option folder
Type cd rp {the second to the last restore point no. } (Note: Example: cd rp9, if rp9 is the second to the last restore point where the last restore point no. is 10
Then type cd snapshot
Now the command prompt will look like this c:\system~1\_resto~1\rp9\snapshot
Type: copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system
Press enter
Then type: copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software
Then type exit

If you get an access denied error when doing the above, then do the following at the recovery console:

Type CD\ then press Enter
Type cd windows\system32\config then press Enter
Type ren system system.bak then press Enter
Type exist press Enter

Your PC will reboot, go back into the Recovery Console and then you have access

erm..I have the OS on the system, everything boots up properly...I don't need to do a system recovery...I just need to install drivers?
If that will let me install my drivers then I'll give it a shot? but I don't think that's what I need to do.. as.. I can get into my system fine.
It's just not running properly.

#15 volty

volty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2008 - 11:56 AM

Your boot.ini may be corrupt.

I'd try the fixboot and/or fixmbr commands from the Recovery Console of the XP CD.

<<The OS previously on the system was XP media center edition.. and the OS I put on the system is XP Pro.>>

Just to be sure...you did a clean install when making this change? And you have a valid licensed copy of XP Pro that you used?

Louis

Yep, I did a clean install, I formatted the drive, partitioned the space, valid copy of XP Pro which came with three licenses to use. Just used my last license for this computer.

THERE IS a partition on the drive though.. H: that is there.. it.. is a recovery drive that was there that CAME with the computer. I'm assuming that was for xp media center edition, could that be the problem?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users