Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows DEP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 turok5011

turok5011

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 18 October 2008 - 09:42 PM

please help

just rencently i got this message that said HL2.exe has stopped working.. hl2.exe is counterstrike

so i went searching for a soulution and found this gametrialers link and it said to disable it in the DEP since i disabled it my computer has been acting really wierd

there's no sound and windows vista is not reconizing my antivirus even though i have avast

please help its reallly frustrating me

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2008 - 02:19 AM

DEP should not be causing this problem. If you want to check your DEP settings in Vista do this: To explore your default system wide DEP policy for 32bit applications (remember - the system wide DEP policy only applies to 32bit applications) on Vista simply click start, then type 'system' and then scroll down and click the search result entitled 'system'. On the new window that pops up click 'Advanced System Settings', elevate it to admin when prompted and then click the 'Settings' button under 'Performance'. Finally - click the 'Data Execution Prevention' tab. By default, DEP is on only for essential programs and services only. If you want Vista to recognize Avast, you can ignore it or force security center to manually find the program. Don't worry about it, Avast should be running fine regardless. As for the sound issue, we would need to know what hardware you're using and the sound card's drivers.

3939.png

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2008 - 06:09 AM

DEP (Data Execution Protection) is a feature where the execution of unwanted programs is stopped (thereby preventing the infection). Turning it off opens you up for all sorts of nasties. I'm going to move this over to the Am I Infected forum....
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 turok5011

turok5011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2008 - 11:32 AM

i fix the problem.....i just restore my whole computer and that fixed it

i lost alot of stuff but i backed up the stuff i needed so i was good to go thanks guys for you help :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users