Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista-Vista Printer FUN!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Glunn11

Glunn11

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 18 October 2008 - 07:58 PM

Hello BleepingComputer!
So, my mom and I are having loads of fun setting up her new Dell Inspiron 518 running Windows Vista Home Basic. With this computer, we have attached the HP D2545, and it is functioning ultimately dandy on her computer.
Problem is: on my eMachines W3611, also running Windows Vista Home Basic, I am trying to connect to this printer for my own use, and it requests a password to log in to my mom's computer before I can access the printer. The same is true if my mom tries to access my computer through the network. Her account does not have a password set, nor does mine.
When my mom had an XP computer, I had to fool the printer (attached to the XP computer) into thinking it was on my eMachines W3611, which worked. During this time, also, it did not request any log-in information to access public files or printers on the other's computer.
HELP! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 19 October 2008 - 07:43 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

My caveat...I don't have Vista installed, so I don't have experience with setting up a network, etc. on it. The following is predicated on my experience with XP.

You don't have to set up a password for home network access...and the printer is just a shared device on the home network.

Did you set the printer up as a shared device on both systems...or did you merely physically connect it to one computer?

I found some instructions for sharing a printer on Vista: http://windows.about.com/od/networking/ss/share_printer.htm

Louis

#3 Glunn11

Glunn11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 19 October 2008 - 10:39 AM

Aha! In that section, it had Password-protected sharing enabled. I disabled it and everything is working dandy now.
Thanks.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 19 October 2008 - 11:27 AM

Nice work, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users