Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PCIe Voltage Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 g j conker

g j conker

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 18 October 2008 - 05:12 PM

Hi All,

My computer is not recognizing a new graphics card installed in my PCIe slot. The card is an ATIFire GL V3600 and defaults back to the on-board graphics. On this mobo (in a Gateway GT5032), you cannot physically disable the onboard graphics, you can only configure the bios to load the PCIe slot before the onboard graphics. I have run some utilities that suggest that the PCIe slot is fine and populated. (see below)

I have tried everything, driver and bios updates. Disabling the onboard graphics, uninstalling the old onboard drivers,, etc.

The BIG question: Is it possible that the card is not getting enough voltage to allow it to run? Again the card is ATIFire GL V3600. I haven't found anything about how many volts it requires. Can power to the PCIe slot degrade over time? Could there be a conflict? I'm a graphic designer with minimal knowledge on this stuff. What am I missing here? Can I provide any other info? My thinking is that if the cardís not getting enough volts, than it wonít be recognized!

A guiding hand would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Greg

From PC Wizard

PCI-Express Information :
Number of connectors : 2

Bus PCI-Express :
Device : C51 PCIe Bridge
Version : 1.0
Port : 2
Physical Slot : #0
Slot Populated : No
Link Width : x1 (max. x1)
Link Speed : 2.5 GB/s

Bus PCI-Express :
Port : 1
Slot Populated : No
Link Width : x1 (max. x1)

Bus PCI-Express :
Port : 0
Slot Populated : Yes
Link Width : x16 (max. x16)

Advices :
The symbol indicate : Approximate Information
The symbol indicate : Information may be inaccurate

Computer
Manufacturer : Gateway
Mainboard : Unspecified C51MCP51
Chipset : nVidia nForce 430
Processor : AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ @ 2200 MHz
Physical Memory : 4096 MB (4 x 1024 DDR-SDRAM )
Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 6100
Hard Disk : ST3400620A (400 GB)
Hard Disk : WDC (250 GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H552B
DVD-Rom Drive : PHILIPS DROM6216
Monitor Type : Samsung SyncMaster - 17 inches
Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2
DirectX : Version 9.0c

Mainboard
Manufacturer : Gateway
Mainboard : Unspecified C51MCP51
Bios : Phoenix Technologies, LTD
Chipset : nVidia nForce 430
Physical Memory : 4096 MB DDR-SDRAM
LPC bus : Yes
PCI Bus : Yes
Bus PCI-Express : Yes
USB Bus : Yes
SMBus/i2c Bus : Yes
Bus HyperTransport : Yes
Bus CardBus : No
Bus FireWire : Yes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 18 October 2008 - 05:21 PM

Welcome to bleepingcomputer!

Can you open your case up, and read us the label on your power supply? Specifically, how many watts it has, and how many amps are on the +12V rail(s)?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 g j conker

g j conker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2008 - 05:35 PM

Hi and thanks!

I just installed a Thermaltake TR2-430W Does 18A sound right? (that's under "Max Load")

Welcome to bleepingcomputer!

Can you open your case up, and read us the label on your power supply? Specifically, how many watts it has, and how many amps are on the +12V rail(s)?

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 18 October 2008 - 06:03 PM

Hmm, I don't know much about workstation graphics cards, but 18a on the +12V rail seems kind of low. Do you have any spare power supplies around with more amps? Also, what graphics card did you have before? Did it have this problem?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 g j conker

g j conker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2008 - 11:29 AM

Hey Sterling,

I had an NVidia Card which just died. It doesn't work in other PCIe slots wheras the ATI does so the ATI works. I think the PCIe slot works because but I'm not 100% sure how to diagnose that. The new 430w power supply replaces an older 300w. The ATI cards wants 350 watts +, so the new one should be fine for the ATI, no? I guess I'm thinking the ATI wants more power based on the fact that the slot seems to be ok but maybe the PCIe slot is messed up and "took out" my previous NVidia graphics card.

G

Hmm, I don't know much about workstation graphics cards, but 18a on the +12V rail seems kind of low. Do you have any spare power supplies around with more amps? Also, what graphics card did you have before? Did it have this problem?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users