Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Major, major problem...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hakumeikage09

hakumeikage09

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 18 October 2008 - 03:29 PM

I need major help right now. Something happened to my computer, and now Windows Explorer won't work. I managed to get Firefox open, but I can't do much else. I need serious help. When I try opening something, it'll show a window with stuff like this in it: It's saying "Data Execution Prevention - Microsoft Windows": To help protect your computer, Windows has closed this program. {image of the command prompt thing" Name: Windows Command Processor; Publisher: Microsoft Corporation. [Close Message]

I don't know what to do and I need very major help fixing this. I can't open anything at all, it's amazing I was able to get firefox open. I've tried restarting the computer about 4~5 times...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 18 October 2008 - 03:46 PM

Hi hakumeikage09,

Did you install any new software or make any changes to your computer before this started? Any updates or upgrades? Which operating system are you using?

#3 hakumeikage09

hakumeikage09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2008 - 03:48 PM

I only downloaded a program for my phone, nothing more. As for the OS, I'm using XP. And it seems to have fixed itself, ubt I dont know how it did it and I'm afraid it might happen again.

#4 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2008 - 03:56 PM

Here's some information that might help if it comes up again:

First this article which relates specifically to DEV (Data Execuation Prevention) with a workaround:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875351

And second, remember that System Restore is there to help you switch your registry back a notch when you need to, so you can see if something you just changed on the computer is the cause of the problem.

#5 hakumeikage09

hakumeikage09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2008 - 04:55 PM

How do I fix this? It's messing up again. And apparently rundll.exe is gone from the system32 folder....

#6 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2008 - 09:05 AM

How do I fix this? It's messing up again. And apparently rundll.exe is gone from the system32 folder....

If the problem is fairly recent (within the last week or so) I recommend doing to following:

If you have System Restore turned on (it's turned on by default), then go back to a system restore point which precedes the installation of the phone software you put onto the computer. To do this, go to Start / All Programs / Accessories / System Tools / System Restore. Select Return my computer to an earlier restore point and click on next. Click on a highlighted date from just prior to the installation of the phone software and follow the prompts. Your computer will reboot. After it reboots, see if the problem you're having still exists.

If this does not resolve the problem, go through the same steps as above with system restore, only this time select the option to reverse system restore to what it was previously.

If the above helps, then check your DEV settings before attempting to reinstall the phone software. To do this:

1. Right click My Computer and select Properties
2. In the new window select the Advanced tab
3. In the Performance section click Settings
4. Select the Data Execution Prevention tab.
5. Be sure that the following is selected: Turn on DEP for essential windows programs and services only.
6. Click OK. You may need to restart afterwards.

Let me know if any of this helps.

#7 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 19 October 2008 - 03:29 PM

I only downloaded a program for my phone, nothing more. As for the OS, I'm using XP. And it seems to have fixed itself, ubt I dont know how it did it and I'm afraid it might happen again.

it may be a pure co-incidence but....................
if the comp was apparently working OK prior to this ??what program was this and from where obtained?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users