Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No sound from headphones

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 333nnn

333nnn

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 18 October 2008 - 12:45 PM

I installed XP Home on this new computer two weeks ago. No sound was coming out of my headphones when plugged in to this computer, so I posted the problem here. Someone suggested that I go into Device Manager and look for "?" and other symbols. There was a "?" next to something that controls the volume or sound, and I did whatever the person suggested and the sound or volume worked until just now. I went into Device Manager, and there are no symbols listed for anything. When I go into "Accessories">"Entertainment">"Volume Control" I get a message saying:"There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices, go to Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware then click Add Hardware. I clicked on some things listed in the "Installed Hardware" list, but for each I get a message saying that it is working properly. In CP under "Sound, Speech and Other Devices" I am able to get to "Master Volume" which controls the volume output. Nothing is muted there and everything is set to the maximum. From "Master Volume" under "Speaker Volume" both the left and right were at the very minimum, and when I moved them to the right the sound came on in my headphones. But now I cannot control the volume at whatever site I'm on. The volume is always at the same level.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 18 October 2008 - 12:50 PM

Id reinstall your audio drivers.

#3 333nnn

333nnn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2008 - 01:57 PM

I'm using the audio jack off the motherboard, so should I run the motherboard installation cd again?

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 18 October 2008 - 02:11 PM

Or look for updated ones.

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 18 October 2008 - 02:22 PM

In Device Manager, right-click on your Sound card/driver and select uninstall. Now restart your PC. Windows should detect and re-install the drivers. If it doesnt auto-detect then in device manager click scan for hardware changes... You may need to insert the drivers cd.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2008 - 02:25 PM

I'm using the audio jack off the motherboard, so should I run the motherboard installation cd again?

Don't you have a front audio jack or one in your CD/DVD unit?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users