Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

If you were going to pay, what would you buy?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

#1 Billermo

Billermo

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 18 October 2008 - 11:13 AM

It's coming up on time to replace my current anti-virus suite (McAfee, if you need to know) and I'm considering the options.

There are a few paid AV programs I'm considering, among them Bitdefender, NOD32 and Kapersky. (3 that seem to consistently perform very well at tests by AV-comparatives.org at least)

As for firewall, I'm not even sure what's all available, nor how much better paid products are than free ones.

Same goes for anti-spyware.

Any advice in this area will be looked at and considered seriously.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 18 October 2008 - 11:39 AM

You might want to review this listing? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

One can experiment and then choose?
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 Billermo

Billermo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2008 - 12:07 PM

Sorry, I'm actually not trying to find out about freeware products, but about the paid products. The link you sent me is about only free programs.

#4 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 18 October 2008 - 12:13 PM

I have Esset NOD32 Antivirus, and SAS Pro Antispyware,and find both Excellent.
I run a free Firewall,so can't help you with a Selection. :thumbsup:

#5 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 18 October 2008 - 12:29 PM

No need to apologize Billermo,

I find no need to pay for protection using those from the list I gave you.
I've had no problems in 6+ years using such. I also gave up McAfee....
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 18 October 2008 - 05:53 PM

Assuming that paid AV & spyware programs are better than free programs is incorrect.

#7 Billermo

Billermo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2008 - 09:46 PM

I saw your reply in my other post.

You make a clear and strong statement. What do you base your opinion on?

Assuming that I'm just assuming is incorrect. ;)

#8 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2008 - 11:44 PM

Assuming that paid AV & spyware programs are better than free programs is incorrect.

On that assumption,wouldn't everyone be using the free versions?
Of course Paid Versions, offer more features.

#9 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2008 - 05:37 AM

Most paid features of free security software aren't worth paying for. If you're talking about McAfee, Norton or NOD32, they don't offer free versions. I think you'll find that most users who use AVG or Avira don't pay an extra 20 bucks for the paid version.

#10 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2008 - 06:25 AM

It's a matter of Personal choice, what we ultimately use.
If no one bought the paid versions,then they wouldn't still be in business,would they.
Think about it.
The most important, I find is to do regular scans,and run an AntiVirus,with an active guard.
Just whatever Program, rocks your boat. :thumbsup:

#11 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 19 October 2008 - 07:06 AM

It's a matter of Personal choice, .............
Just whatever Program, rocks your boat.

Sums it up nicely, DSTM. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#12 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2008 - 10:44 AM

If no one bought the paid versions,then they wouldn't still be in business,would they.
Think about it.
The most important, I find is to do regular scans,and run an AntiVirus,with an active guard.

Of course it's up to personal choice. But to assume that a paid product is better than a free product is a bunch of baloney. Companies like Norton or McAfee are counting on that kind of thinking. They think consumers have "sucker" written on their foreheads. That's what keeps them in business. We come to BC to be better informed and not have Norton or McAfee in our pockets.

#13 Storm Rider

Storm Rider

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 19 October 2008 - 11:08 AM

Nod32 for AV and Online Armor for firewall. Both are rock solid and are very highly rated.

#14 Maniac

Maniac

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 19 October 2008 - 11:22 AM

If you need to compare paid and free antivirus programs to be paid much better. The reason for this are the companies they put things right. If you look at other programs - defragmentatori, office suites and other things there to be different, you do not have the program be paid for good.

I also recommend antivirus program ESET NOD32 Antivirus. If you use Windows Vista, but that will more secure than with Windows XP, but also may use its firewall, it is also very good. Otherwise, you can buy Agnitum Outpost. Outpost is one of the best firewalls. In addition, you can use MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware.
Posted Image

#15 Billermo

Billermo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2008 - 01:34 AM

Think about it.

It's up to the person buying, of course, but there are people like myself that would like to see some actual results on how the thing performs on a broad scale. I'm not impressed by this Dark Ages approach to deciding which is the best. Anecdotal evidence is what has people in Asia eating bear bile to improve their fertility, and lots of other equally stupid ideas. I expected to see a more intelligent approach being taken here at a site that purports to have expertise on the subject.

Regarding 'assumptions', I specifically addressed that point -- I'm not making any assumptions based on nothing. I'm making some based on information I read that struck me as more compelling evidence than all the anecdotal subjective evidence I see up here on this forum.

There's a certain tone in some of these replies that makes me think some people are a bit too passionate on this subject to be objective. I don't understand why, we're just talking about an anti-virus program. My original question was which paid program would someone buy. The replies seem to be an unending attempt to change the subject. It seems to me less than polite to relentlessly try to steamroll a sincere, honest question out of existence. We're so far off subject now because the guys who seem to personally identify with their free AV programs just won't allow any discussion of a question whose premise they disagree with. They want to believe their free ones are the best available, and there will not be any discussion allowed that doesn't conform to that view. I feel like I'm dealing with young teenagers here.

The question was, if you are going to choose a paid program, which would you choose. If you aren't replying to that question, and instead are going to try to shoot down the premise of that question, then please, go start your own thread for that, and please allow people to discuss THAT question here in this one. If your answer is that you would not buy a program, that's irrelevant to me.

Edited by Billermo, 21 October 2008 - 01:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users