Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hidden program(s) using my RAM

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bacchusman

bacchusman

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 01 May 2005 - 11:33 PM

My computer will not open programs at times because it says there's not enuf memory, even tho only one or two programs may be open. Response to clicks is slow, sometimes (tho not often) the page changes in Explorer without my doing anything. Videos appear jerky. I tried using my Norton Disk Doctor and I get a message saying "Norton Disk Doctor has restarted ten times because Windows or another program has been writing to this drive," so I can't even use the Disk Doctor. I went to your tutorials and followed the instructions for "4 simple steps for removing spyware, hijackers, viruses and other malware" posted on 8/13/04. I used Trend Micro, then Panda (which announced 11 files that it said it couldn't remove), then Spybot. The first time I ran Spybot it found something called 1SearchTechSideFind, then something in German. Then a a message preceded by a tgriangle with an exclamation point saying "Error during Check!" I uninstalled Spybot and reloaded it and out found a bunch of stuff that it removed. I had already been usin AdAware for some time but I ran it again too. I'm still having the same problems after all that!! (Stull can't load Norton Disk Doctor.) I did not want to try Hijack This since I don't want to screw up and don't consider myself that sophisticated. Any advice you can throw my way would be more than welcome. Thanks,
Bacchusman

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 02 May 2005 - 12:14 AM

Have you tried running your security scans in Safe Mode?
How to start Windows in Safe Mode
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 02 May 2005 - 12:16 AM

First, get into safe mode by tapping the f8 key whilst rebooting your computer. Then do these:
1. Run Windows disk cleanup.
2. Run scandisk and make sure the "fix any errors" box is checked.
3. Run Ad-Aware SE and then run Norton DD. Doing this in safe mode will preclude many programs for accessing files, and improve the run of NortonDD. It will also allow these applications to access many files they could not in regular mode, and remove problems hidden in them.
4. After running these, and also Spybot, run scandisk again.
5. Defragment your drive.

Hopefully this will resolve your problems; if not then the next step is to submit a HJT log for our great team of volunteers to examine. Instructions for doing this are here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/How...s_Log-t956.html

Hope this will help you,
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 bacchusman

bacchusman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 04 May 2005 - 12:00 AM

John, thanks much for your explicit instructions. I followed them and ran my computer thru all the antisceptic procedures, and while I'm sure my hard drive is now better organized, my problem is not solved. Something is operating on my computer and using a lot of my RAM (my unworthy estimate of the problem), so I need a different solution. Is Hijack this where I go now? Thanks,
Bacchusman

#5 jbravo

jbravo

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2005 - 12:27 AM

hi pal,

go to http://faqs.cogia.net/faqs/programkill.php and read all details given there. download the given free program & sove your problem.

good luck.

jb.

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 04 May 2005 - 07:17 AM

bacchusman - if you post an HJT log to the forum you will be assured of expert help from people who have been trained in analysing malware infections. Even if your computer is clean you can return here with the knowledge that the problem is not malware related and people here will continue to assist you.
While posting to the HJT forum ignore any suggestions posted here until your analysis is completed.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#7 phredd

phredd

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2005 - 07:02 PM

Hi there.
I had a similar problem running "scandisc" the windows disc health utility. I found the only way to get it to run was to physically disconnect from the internet. Don't ask me why, but there you go.
I use a program "Start up Mechanic" to limit the programs that start up automatically when you boot up. It scans and shows a list of all these programs. If you left click each item it tells you what it does and if you need it to start up, if not you can disable it. You can download it (free) here ....... http://www.startupmechanic.com
I also use a program "RamIdle"(free) to monitor memory usage
http://www.tweaknow.com/ramidleLE.html
If you go here http://www.pcpitstop.com you can run a set of tests that will tell you the general health of your machine, and if you have enough memory,processor speed and so on .
Good luck.......Phredd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users