Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE 7 Favorites

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 georgia

georgia

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 18 October 2008 - 08:56 AM

I have started to sort through My Favorites in IE 7 and wondered if there is an easy way to Delete many of them? I don't have them in Folders and there is a substantial lengthy mess there to go through and have to Delete once and then click again on the Final Delete window that opens and so I wondered if there is an easier way to do this.
I still want to keep some of them however there are many that I no longer need.
Thank you for your time.
Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 October 2008 - 04:54 PM

Hi georgia, only you know which ones you want keep, so unless you want to delete a folder I think you will have to do it one by one.

#3 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2008 - 05:13 PM

Hi Georgia,

There is no way of doing multiple deletions in the favorites on IE7. You will have to right click>delete each one I'm afraid.
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#4 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 18 October 2008 - 07:20 PM

you can use cleanup
open the program
click on options
and make sure everything is unchecked
put check in favourites and run cleanup

http://www.stevengould.org/index.php?optio...&Itemid=223

never use thorough cleaning
always standard
for best results

#5 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 19 October 2008 - 06:49 AM

Thx very much on the tip and Link for Clean Up. I went to the site and did a read and fumbled through it somewhat, however do not want to screw up my other files and so I have put a post in the Forum in order to get clarification on the process. I understood it to a point and then 'brain fog' set in and so I know better than to start guessing.
It definitely does sound like this app is what I am looking for and I am going to keep it on a usb 'jump drive' as I don't want to have it installed on my notebook in case I accidentally use it !!!
Just being a conservative here.
Thx again and cheers !!!

#6 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2008 - 07:50 AM

Hi Georgia,I had an absolute monitor full of Favourites.I made,in my case 5 new folders,and moved them into the different Folders.Al the favourites I didn't want anymore,in one Folder.Then deleted that folder to the recycle Bin.I found this an easier way to tidy up favourites.Now any Favourites saved go into a specific folder,and looks neat. I can't really see the need for a special program, as it doesn't take long to achieve. :thumbsup:

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 19 October 2008 - 02:05 PM

Open up My Computer from your desktop.
Click on Drive C.
Open up Documents and Settings.
Click on YOUR user name, then Favorites.
To get rid of more than one at a time, hold down the ctrl key
and at the same time click on the names of the links you want to remove.
After you have them highlighted, RIGHT click, then choose delete.

(My OS is XP, not sure if this would be the same procedure with Vista)

#8 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2008 - 08:09 PM

Queen-Evie has hit the nail on the head. Windows Explorer is much faster and easier way to edit/organize Favorites. I use Favorites in both IE 8 and Firefox (w/Plain Old Favorites add on) primarily because of the speed and simplicity of organizing Favorites with Windows Explorer. Now if I could only find a way to alphabetically arrange all folders, sub-folders and individual favorites from within each browser with just one click rather than one tier of sub-folders at a time....

Edited by Justa, 19 October 2008 - 08:10 PM.

#9 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2008 - 05:34 PM

Thx for the great advice here. I am no longer haphazardly saving to 'favorites'. I have learned my lesson. LOL ! I now have a "great" appreciation for starting off 'organized'. !!
I should have listened to my mother....many years ago ! Thank you one and all. This was a very informative thread. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users