Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Incremental backups - what do they do?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Bone Idol

Bone Idol

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 18 October 2008 - 05:19 AM

Hi again, Bleepers.

Dumb question - but what exactly do incremental backups save to the backup file?

I first made a full backup of my system, and thereafter I've run a daily schedule of incremental backups.

For instance - what does the 'Day 6' incremental backup, backup? Does it take any account of the previous 4 days of incremental backups - or does it only search for new stuff that isn't on the original full backup?

Every few days I have to erase some of these files to make space, but I'm still not too sure which files I should be dumping.

Posted Image

For instance - to create more space should I be deleting all the incremental daily backup files except the last one? That is, keep only the original Full backup, and the file marked MyBackup17.tb ... ?

Edited by Bone Idol, 18 October 2008 - 05:22 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 18 October 2008 - 06:31 AM

There are two kinds of "incremental" backups according to Acronis
- the differential backup will back up all changes since the creation of the original backup.
- the incremental backup will back up all changes since the last incremental backup

From this page: http://www.acronis.com/resource/solutions/...al-backups.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 18 October 2008 - 01:27 PM

If you are in need of backup space then get another hard drive. A terabyte hdd is less then 150 bucks.

#4 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2008 - 03:47 PM

Thanks John. I've printed that out.

So: I should be doing Differential backups instead of Incremental backups, because when I need more space all I need do is keep the original full backup and the last Differential backup - and erase everything in between.

But with Incremental backups, I would have to erase nearly all the incremental backups to create new space.

I think I've got it.

cryptodan - I've got a 160GB 'Mobile Desk' external hard drive that I've been doing these backups to. :thumbsup:

Update.

I've read your link, John. It's good, but nowhere do they tell you what you should be deleting if you want to create new space for a full backup each week (as they recommend).

Edited by Bone Idol, 18 October 2008 - 04:01 PM.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2008 - 04:04 PM

It seems if you are in need of back up spae 160gigs isnt cutting it. Its okay to spend more money for more backup space.

#6 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2008 - 04:15 PM

It seems if you are in need of back up spae 160gigs isnt cutting it. Its okay to spend more money for more backup space.

:flowers:

That's very cryptic of you Dan. I'll go out and buy another external hdd today. It'll be your Chrissy present for me.

Umm, where do I send the bill? :thumbsup:

:trumpet:

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2008 - 04:17 PM

How often are you doing your updates?

#8 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2008 - 05:06 PM

How often are you doing your updates?

Daily - as recommended. I do a lot of downloading and installing of new software. I try things out.

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2008 - 05:08 PM

Do you keep any of the programs you try installed? If you do use them for a week then remove them, then I would do weekly backups and just before you do them delete the programs and files you download and keep an excel spreadsheet of their location on the web and their names and put a check by the ones you like and an X by the ones you wont use again.

Honestly though I wouldnt do backups on a machine used for testing. However, I would keep an OS image.

#10 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2008 - 05:11 PM

Do you keep any of the programs you try installed? If you do use them for a week then remove them, then I would do weekly backups and just before you do them delete the programs and files you download and keep an excel spreadsheet of their location on the web and their names and put a check by the ones you like and an X by the ones you wont use again.

Honestly though I wouldnt do backups on a machine used for testing. However, I would keep an OS image.

Okay cryptodan. :thumbsup:

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2008 - 05:53 PM

Frankly, I don't keep a bunch of incremental backups. They just occupy too much space. I image my system once I've got it setup the way that I like it. After that my imaging is done sporadically (this is separate from my backups - which are done more regularly).

I'm beta testing the next version of Acronis True Image and I think that it makes only one incremental backup - and replaces itself each time it creates one (once a week on my system).

FWIW - I store all my "data" on another drive (and much of it on the web also). This leaves only the essential stuff on my OS drive - and that doesn't need regular saving (IMO). Included in the OS drive image are the directions for the OS to look for my data on the other drive - so when I restore the OS it's like my data has never changed.

Then, I backup my data using SyncBackSE to a 3rd drive every night while I'm asleep. It takes less room than an image - and is quicker since I've set the backup to ignore unchanged files.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2008 - 05:59 PM

Jesus. Just when I thought it was getting simple.

John - I'm going to print out your post, and then at my leisure - I'm going to sort it all out in my mind so I understand all these various nuances and subtleties.

I've gotta feeling it's going to be a long day...

Thank you.

Edited by Bone Idol, 19 October 2008 - 05:01 AM.

#13 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2008 - 02:25 AM

I can't think what's gone wrong here.

I canceled my scheduled incremental backups, and re-scheduled Acronis to do daily Differential backups.

And then I get this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

What media marked 'Volume 1'...?

On another forum site I did a poll, and it turned out that 83% have never done a Backup.

I'm not at all surprised.

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2008 - 06:17 AM

At work I find that most folks don't worry about a backup - until they've lost something important.
In my case it was my wedding photos - along with 3 years worth of work. :thumbsup:

#15 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2008 - 04:14 PM

At work I find that most folks don't worry about a backup - until they've lost something important.
In my case it was my wedding photos - along with 3 years worth of work. :thumbsup:

Good Lord! You have my sympathy, John.

My PC crashes on average every 6 months, and last time, for the first time - I had everything backed up to an external hard drive. This was a huge relief to me, and saved me countless hours reinstalling various software, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users