Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse Pointer problems, keeps trying to delete shortcuts

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis W

Dennis W

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 18 October 2008 - 05:00 AM

Hi, My daughters Laptop a NOVATECH branded running Windows XP Professional V2002 SP3 on an mobile AMD Sempron.
The problem appeard (according to my daughter) last week.
Symptoms:
1/ Either using the Synaptics touch pad or a Mouse Pointer(USB) when left clicking once on an ICON on the desktop the "Confirm Shortcut Delete" dialog appears and this is generated 6 times (alt tab shows 6 boxes) after which require replying cancel.
2/ Task Manager, when clicking the Processes Tab, the highlighted process generates a "Terminating this process" message with the yellow warning triangle continuously and only rapid clicks on the left synaptics button stops it..
3/ When in edit mode in notepad (not tried other editors) the data in the edit pane is deleted from the bottom to the top.
4/ In REGEDIT hightlighting anything in the right hand pane generated the "are you sure you want to delete this" message

This is rendering the laptop almost unusable.

What I have attempted so far:
1/ Googling the net has not generated any similar reported problems.
2/ I have run windows update
3/ I have checked firewall and antivirus are updated and have run scans (Zone Alarm Suite)
4/ I have run Spybot S&D, Spyware Doctor and a-Squared Anti-Malware
5/ I am currently running Kapersky online scanner

Any help would be wonderful, my own thoughts are that the registry has been "Tampered" with, but I am not that sure.
Regards
Dennis W :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 18 October 2008 - 06:11 AM

Task Manager, when clicking the Processes Tab, the highlighted process generates a "Terminating this process" message

That sounds like the message you typically receive when right-clicking and choosing end process.

In REGEDIT hightlighting anything in the right hand pane generated the "are you sure you want to delete this" message

That sounds like the message you typically receive when right-clicking and choosing delete.

Symptoms sound more like a settings problem with the mouse. Go to Start > Control Panel > Mouse and check the settings.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Dennis W

Dennis W
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2008 - 11:00 AM

Sorry, but that is a left click.....
That sounds like the message you typically receive when right-clicking and choosing delete. and that is the problem
I am not chooshoosing any options, and by the way, they are all left clicks...

Symptoms sound more like a settings problem with the mouse. Go to Start > Control Panel > Mouse and check the settings.
Any advice on what you think they should be, nothing seems remiss. Set as a right hand mouse! not much else that you can set. :thumbsup:

#4 Dennis W

Dennis W
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2008 - 02:40 AM

I have come to the conclusion that the keyboard delete key is probably sticking so I am going to remove the keyboard and insert a USB Keyboard and see if that cures the problem. I will post back with the conclusions. :thumbsup:

#5 Dennis W

Dennis W
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:17 AM

Have now sussed out what the problem is, hardware / Keyboard sticking delete key. Disconnected the laptop keyboard, added a USB keyboard and problem went away. So this post can be assigned to the grave..... :thumbsup:
Interesting problem though, with the aid of a LINUX "run from CD", found the exact problem with UBUNTU so figured it must be hardware...........

Thanks for your help
Dennis W

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:25 AM

Glad to hear you have resolved the issue. Persistence pays off.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users