Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My external hard drive crashed...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 baffledtiger

baffledtiger

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 01 May 2005 - 09:23 PM

I have a 250 GB Maxtor OneTouch II USB/FireWire hard drive that I got last October, and it's worked fine until now.

About a week ago I was using Adobe Premiere to edit some video footage that was stored the drive (using USB 2.0), and the preview window suddenly started showing weird pixels. I could still scrub the footage and hear the audio perfectly fine, but the video was all screwed up. So I saved it and closed out of everything, and when I went to My Computer to open the drive it said:

"E:\ not accessible.

The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."

I went to the Device Manager and it seems to be working ok. I'm not really sure what went wrong with it or anything, but is this something that happens a lot? Or can anyone tell me if there's anyway to recover the data/fix the drive without losing anything? I don't have any other hard drive that's as big, so I can't dump the drive data onto another drive.

Out of the 233 GB on it I was using about 215-225. I was thinking about just refortmatting the entire thing, but I would only want to do that as a last resort.

Can someone help me out?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 03 May 2005 - 11:29 AM

Hi baffledtiger,

I haven't dealt with your exact problem, but I have run into a simular thing a while back. Sometimes different programs create temporary files to make things work - their workspace. If for some reason the program you were working with was creating its "space" on your external drive, and the drive then filled to capacity, becuase of these temporary files, then that may have caused the crash and the corruption of data. The guy I was working with, lost his project when the hard drive suddenly maxxed out its space. I wouldn't think that would make the drive unusable or unreadable.

I would recomend reseting everything - uplugging and repowering the external drive to see if that will help. Try the drive on another computer. If you have Norton's System Works, they have a recovery utility.

My best guess,

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users