Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ntfs Driver disabled in Start Mode

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 17 October 2008 - 07:05 PM

I found that the NTFS driver is disabled in the start mode ;

ntfs Ntfs c:\windows\system32\drivers\ntfs.sys File System Driver Yes Disabled Running OK Normal No Yes

Can you tell me is this the way it should be ?

I have several drivers that are disabled in this mode, but find that I can not determine if these are right.

Is there a source of information for driver status concerning these topics that is understandable and or in plain basic language ?

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2008 - 09:26 AM

Missing or corrupt c:\windows\system32\drivers\ntfs.sys.

This issue is known to be caused by one or more of the below causes.

1. Hard disk drive is converted from FAT32 to NTFS and during the process corrupts the ntfs.sys file.
2. Other software or malware corrupts or deletes the ntfs.sys file.
3. Overclocking / heat related issues.
4. Corruption in the computer memory or memory in computer is bad.
5. Other serious file corruption issue.
6. Other hardware confliction or issue.

Missing or corrupt file

To restore a missing or corrupt ntfs.sys file you must have the Windows XP CD and follow the below steps.

1. Insert the Windows XP CD into the computer and restart the computer.
2. As the computer is starting make sure to press a key to boot from the CD.
3. In the Windows XP setup screen press the 'R' key to run the Windows Recovery Console.
4. If prompted enter the number of Windows installation you're repairing.
5. At the command prompt type the below command.

copy x:\i386\ntfs.sys c:\windows\system32\drivers

* In the above example you would replace x: with the letter of your CD-ROM drive. Many computers have the CD-ROM drive configured as the D: drive.

6. If ntfs.sys is still on the computer you'll be prompted if you wish to overwrite the file. If prompted, press the Y key for Yes to overwrite the file.
7. Once the file has been successfully copied remove the CD and reboot your computer.

Heat related issues

Verify all computer case fans and the processor heat sink fan (if present) is working. Excessive heat can cause all types of issues and/or the system to abnormally power down causing corrupt files.

Improperly connected, bad, or failing system memory

If following the above steps does not resolve your issue or you're unable to boot into the CD to restore the file it's possible your computer has a hardware issue or failure. Often for this issue it is bad or failing computer memory.

If you've ever added memory to the computer first remove that memory, even if it was added before this issue started.

If you have never added memory or removing it does not resolve the issue it's possible that the remaining memory in the computer is bad or failing. Additional help and information about testing your computers memory can be found on document CH000708.

We also suggest trying reseating your memory (removing and then re-installing the memory), trying to replace the memory with known good memory, and/or if you have two sticks of memory (ie: 2 sticks of 256 for 512 total or 2 sticks of 512 for 1GB total) to try only one stick of memory.

Other serious file corruption

If you've reviewed all the above-related issues to this issue yet are still unable to resolve your issue we suggest doing a full system restore, deleting all the information and reinstalling Windows. Additional information about reinstalling Windows XP can be found on document CH000647. If during the format or the installation of Windows you encounter additional errors it's likely your hard disk drive is bad.

If you're unable to boot into the CD to restore the file and/or to run a full system restore it's likely you're encountering a hardware issue. If you've already tested and/or replaced the computer memory see the below other hardware confliction or issue section.

computerhope.com

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2008 - 09:56 AM

It sounds as if I have discovered a serious problem and may be the source of the many failures the PC is experiencing.

I did convert from FAT 32 to NTFS previously some time ago, I recently put in a new 256, stick, I believe there is one slot next to it that may be damaged, the last time I tried a stick in it I could not get started.

I do not have an install disc, . . . since this is a driver is there a reason why I can not,
unimstall it and install a new one, obviously you would have said that if I could, but I am looking for installation disc alternatives.

The PC is still crashing and will not cough up a BSOD, except on the occasion it happens to feel like it, the run history seems not to be keeping its normal history, but I have the new RAM just one day now.

But crashes, when on line, do not record and hold history either, therefore when I get it back up, there is no previous history for that page and sometimes others, the I.E. does not reopen with restore capabilities for the page I was viewing when it went down.

Do any of these seem symptomatic of the disabled ntfs driver ?

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#4 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2008 - 12:19 PM

Garmanma,
Thanks for your help I requested an installation disc from Compaq, in the meantime I look around for one.

BTW, there are other disabled drivers there, do these raise questions, is there a place where I might find the needed informations pertaining to the drivers and their various status for the OS ?

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#5 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2008 - 03:32 PM

Apparently, my SP2 upgrade disc had a missing ntfs file or the disc was corrupted, because both my 5300US and my 4403US have the ntfs disabled in, "Start up mode", driver problem.

Is there a reason that Windows doesn't have this fix, since Windows loads SP2 and or SP1, ( I thinK), from on line ??

Edited by Jove, 18 October 2008 - 03:47 PM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 18 October 2008 - 06:20 PM

You can try downloading SP3 Network Install the 300Meg file.

#7 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2008 - 06:27 PM

If that is the Windows SP3 Update for SP2, I have it installed, . . . ?

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#8 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2008 - 06:43 PM

BTW, what source of information determines this is a ;

Missing or corrupt c:\windows\system32\drivers\ntfs.sys.

I posted that the file is disabled in the Start Mode in, System Drivers in the Software Environment for, the side panel in Systems information ?

Does this determine that the file is missing or corrupt ?

Edited by Jove, 18 October 2008 - 06:53 PM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users