Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP! sowar is on my start up list. Missing Folder options!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 VirusDetected

VirusDetected

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 17 October 2008 - 06:38 PM

Good day!
I was wondering if somebody could help me how to remove sowar.vbs.. I can't also view hidden files because the folder options is missing.. Hope you somebody could help me with this.. I'm very clueless where to start :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 18 October 2008 - 07:56 AM

How to Remove sowar.vbs Virus

To fix the "Long Live Sowar" message in the title bar, see How to Change the Internet Explorer Window Title (be sure to read the section on backing up your registry first) or you can try using ieclear.bat by IE MVP Hans Le Roy which will reset the title to Windows default.

To fix the restrictions on Folder Options, please download sreng2.zip and save it to your Desktop.
  • Create a new folder on your hard drive called Sreng2 (C:\Sreng2) and extract (unzip) the file there. (click here if you're not sure how to do this.)
  • Open the folder and double-click on SREngLdr.EXE to launch it.
  • Select System Repair from the left pane.
  • Click on Windows Shell/IE.
  • Put a check mark in the box next to Enable using Folder Options
  • Click Repair.
  • The Status should now show Ok.
  • Exit and reboot your computer.
Then download Flash_Disinfector.exe by sUBs and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
  • The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well. Hold down the Shift key when inserting the drive until Windows detects it to keep autorun.inf from executing if it is present.
  • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
  • Reboot your computer when done.
Note: Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive that is plugged in when you ran it. Don't delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection.

When done, check for and remove any Startup RUN values by downloading and using Autoruns.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 VirusDetected

VirusDetected
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2008 - 06:56 AM

wooooohooooooooooo! Thank you very much quietman7!! i followed all your instructions and now sowar doesn't show on my internet explorer title bar and i can now view hidden files! Thank you again and more power to bleepingcomputer! this site saved me from formatting my hard drives :thumbsup:

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2008 - 07:03 AM

You're welcome.

If there are no more problems or signs of infection, you should Create a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since this is a protected directory your tools cannot access to delete these files, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
  • Go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "Ok". Disk Cleanup will scan your files for several minutes, then open.
  • Click the "More Options" tab, then click the "Clean up" button under System Restore.
  • Click Ok. You will be prompted with "Are you sure you want to delete all but the most recent restore point?"
  • Click Yes, then click Ok.
  • Click Yes again when prompted with "Are you sure you want to perform these actions?"
  • Disk Cleanup will remove the files and close automatically.
Tips to protect yourself against malware and reduce the potential for re-infection:
• "Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe".
• "How did I get infected?, With steps so it does not happen again!".
• "Hardening Windows Security - Part 1 & Part 2".
• "IE Recommended Minimal Security Settings" - "How to Secure Your Web Browser".

• Avoid gaming sites, underground web pages, pirated software sites, and peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing programs. They are a security risk which can make your computer susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, exposure of personal information, and identity theft. Many malicious worms and Trojans spread across P2P file sharing networks, gaming and underground sites. Users visiting such pages may see innocuous-looking banner ads containing code which can trigger pop-up ads and Flash ads that install viruses, Trojans and spyware. Ads are a target for hackers because they offer a stealthy way to distribute malware to a wide range of Internet users. The best way to reduce the risk of infection is to avoid these types of web sites and not use any P2P applications. Read P2P Software User Advisories and Risks of File-Sharing Technology.
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 VirusDetected

VirusDetected
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2008 - 06:36 PM

Done! I followed all your instruction and I will avoid visiting the websites you've mentioned.. Thanks again man! Cheers! :thumbsup:

Edited by VirusDetected, 20 October 2008 - 06:37 PM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:47 PM

:thumbsup: