Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Username and password recovery

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dahoe

Dahoe

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 17 October 2008 - 03:17 PM

HI there,
i'm not sure if you can help me or if this is possible but hopefully it is.
My friend's brother left him a laptop but he doesn't know the username or password.
From powering it up it's using:
Fedora Core (2.6.18-1.2798.fc6)
Red Hat nash version 5.1.19
GNU GRUB VERSION 0.97
I'm a total novice to Linux but said i'd see if i could help as there are some documents and emails on it he would really like to see.
I'm also wondering if i copied the hard drive to another pc would i be able to get at the files or would i need permission, ie username & password, to access them?
Any help or advice is much appreciated.
Cheers,
Steve.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 17 October 2008 - 03:22 PM

Are you asking us to help you and your friend figure out how to access emails and documents that do not belong to your friend?

#3 Dahoe

Dahoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2008 - 06:14 AM

I am indeed and i understand this sounds suspect but i assure you it is totally genuine.
My friend's brother recently took his own life and left no note, reason or any hint as to why. He also left the laptop to my friend and he is hoping there may be some sort of clue as to his behaviour or humour leading up to it in his notes or emails.
I understand if you can't help me in this but was hoping you could even tell me if it's possible as i said i'd do all i can to try and sort it out.
I have a fair bit of experience with windows and was wondering if i took out the drive and put it into a Portable Hard Disk Drive and connected it to an XP PC could i access or copy the files from there?
Thanks for any advice or help you can give me in this matter.
Cheers,
Steve.

#4 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2008 - 08:54 AM

I honestly don't think that no matter what you do you're going to get into emails without a password. I'm only posting to tell you that you will need a linux system in order to read any linux file system Windows just isn't smart enough to read the file systems. And with that i'm going to back out of this thread.

My condolences to your friend. I know how hard it can be to lose someone like that without any warning. I wish him the best in his attempt to find closure.

Edited by smurfgod, 18 October 2008 - 08:57 AM.

#5 Ray Parrish

Ray Parrish

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 01 November 2008 - 10:51 PM

Hello,

Windows can indeed read the Linux file system with the addition of a driver from this link -

http://www.fs-driver.org/index.html

I have used this driver successfully on my Windows XP Home system to read the file system on my Ubuntu partition. [I dual boot both systems]

With this driver you could add the drive to your XP system and read it. Since Windows doesn't know from diddly about LInux file permissions it will read and modify files anywhere on the Linux files system with impunity.

Hope this helps.

Later, Ray Parrish

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users