Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error Loading CTFMON.DLL

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tyrons31

tyrons31

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 17 October 2008 - 02:13 PM

I get this error when my computer boots up. As soon as I get into windows this error message displays.

"ERROR LOADING CTFMON.DLL

The specified module could not be found"

I am running Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2

I believe it is related to mydoom.b that I have since removed, but I continue to get this message (probably because I had the CTFMON.DLL removed from my registry during the removal of the mydoom.b virus.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 17 October 2008 - 03:07 PM

That error probably stems from a startup item referencing said file...with the startup still remaining noted.

You can use the following program to find and disable/remove such item. Please confine yourself to looking on the LOGON tab.

AutoRuns for Windows - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx

Louis

#3 tyrons31

tyrons31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 17 October 2008 - 07:56 PM

Thanks, that worked, plus I found a bunch of other junk on there during startup.

I appreciate the help.

Ty

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 18 October 2008 - 07:09 AM

Easily done, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 syler

syler

• Malware Response Team
  • 8,150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 18 October 2008 - 03:32 PM

This file is actually associated with some bad malware here.
What is the file size and where is it located? Do not confuse it with the legitamate microsoft file ctfmon.exe.

You should proberbly post in the HijackThis forum http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

Syler

unite.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users