Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless LAN hidden in Device Manager and Network Connections

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 crazy canuc

crazy canuc

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 17 October 2008 - 01:23 PM

Hi everyone,
I am new to your site and need your help.

I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop, using XP with service pack 3 update.
I just formated my hard drive and re-installed everything except my personal stuff. Now have installed Norton (all), Office 2000, Acitve X and Adobe. All drivers have been updated through Dell although I had to manually install because past one year now. Pretty sure their ok.

WLAN Miniport is 1390 Dell and only appears in Device Manager when "Show Hidden Devices" and does not show in "Network Connections" or in task pane.
Lan is Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller...this seems fine!

I have searched everywhere for an answer as to why this is 'hidden'? I have tried everything including disabling Norton/Symantec on this device.
In the device manager, when I show details for device, it says it's working fine, made by Microsoft and...location unknown?

I just tried something else.... Network Diagnostics for XP, as follows:

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity

info HTTP: Successfully connected to www.microsoft.com.
info HTTPS: Successfully connected to www.microsoft.com.
warn FTP (Passive): Error 12002 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The operation timed out
warn FTP (Active): Error 12002 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The operation timed out
error Could not make an FTP connection.

I have spent soooooo many hours trying to fix this damn thing.
I think it is a software conflict but not sure.

Would really appreciate some help on this.
Thanks,
Crazy Canuc

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 17 October 2008 - 03:02 PM

This link explains what hidden devices might be, http://oreilly.com/pub/h/3105

Louis

#3 crazy canuc

crazy canuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2008 - 08:11 PM

Well that was a cool website and I read, understood and tried it all.
Didn't work when I found and deleted a duplicate WLAN device which was greyed out. I even re-started the computer.
I did find 'RAS async adapter' in Device manager that is in grey! Don't know what that one is except a websearch shows downloadable drivers everywhere.
Is this the problem?
Still stuck without a working WLAN.

Thanks,
Crazy Canuc

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2008 - 07:19 AM

Hmmm...I don't have any wireless devices...but I would just uninstall the wireless (via Device Manager) and reinstall (assuming that you are using wireless connectivity for your 1501).

If you are not connecting via wireless, it's of no consequence (just a standard feature of the system that's not being used).

Louis

#5 crazy canuc

crazy canuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2008 - 12:58 PM

I have tried to uninstall and re-install this device under Device Manager but, it won't let me do it. It says 'this device may be required to boot up your computer' or something close to that! How do I unistall if it woun't let me?
Also, there are several drivers or locations in the Device Manager such as Wan Miniport (IP), Wan Miniport (L2TP), Wan Miniport (PPPOE), Wan Miniport (PPTP) plus a 'packet scheduler' and Norton network security drivers as well. So 6 items hidden for one device! All say "Location unknown" which is wierd.
It says the device is working properly too.

There has got to be a way to fix this damn thing!

Thanks in advance,
Crazy Canuc

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2008 - 02:49 PM

I've seen those "this device may be required" messages...this is what worked for me and others:

http://msmvps.com/blogs/thenakedmvp/archiv...puter-quot.aspx

If that fails, then I would suggest that you:

a. Uninstall any software which installed with said device.

b. Try removing it while in safe mode.

Louis

#7 crazy canuc

crazy canuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2008 - 10:22 AM

Louis,

Thanks again for your recommendation but this link says the same thing as the one you previously suggested. It says it in short form but, basically the same thing. Remove the 'greyed' items once you have made them visible through that command.

Well seems like this one is going to remain a mystery. Thanks Louis, I appreciate the trouble. That is a cool trick I didn't know.

If anyone else out there reads the stuff I wrote above and has an idea of how to solve this, please let me know!

Thanks,

Paul

#8 crazy canuc

crazy canuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2008 - 05:06 PM

....really does anyone know how to get my WLAN working properly?

I think it may be a software a software conflict but, review what I wrote and please and offer some suggestions!

Thanks in advance,

Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users