Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovery of Files Partitioned after a Recovery

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 melbel615

melbel615

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 17 October 2008 - 12:24 PM

I got a nasty virus. It made my comp shut down and when I rebooted, I couldn't get to windows xp. So, I did a bad thing and did a system recovery. I get back in and the comp is acting like it just came out of the box. Ok, fine. I can reinstall and update and I'll live. Then I discover that I can't see my movies and music and books. I figure out that the C drive has been partitioned. I have like 2gb space left on the comp because of the old music and movie files. I also see that the recovery didn't help as the virus is back after about 10 minutes. I cry a lil.

I heard that I could use a flash drive and transfer the files I want to recover from the c drive partition, format the comp, reinstall windows xp and just start over virus free. *cheer* I go and buy a flash drive. The only problem is that I do not know how to access the C drive partition that has my files hostage so that I can save what I can onto the flash drive. I don't even know how to view the partition. All I know is that the partition was made because the c drive is blue and underlined. How do I use the flash drive to access the files, transfer them, and then get on with the format and do over?

Oh, Gracious Computer Gods, hear my plea! Get my movies and music back and I swear I will make recovery disks and back up and keep everything I love on a flash drive!!!! Sigh, it was more fun to bargain with the Gods to get out of hangovers....

Thanks for any help!

Edited by melbel615, 17 October 2008 - 12:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 17 October 2008 - 02:57 PM

Data recovery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_recovery

There are paid and free versions of such...you can find some by using Google. I have no experience with free versions.

Louis

#3 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2008 - 04:49 PM

You could also look around on the boot land forum. Somebody may take pity on you.

Boot Land

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

#4 melbel615

melbel615
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2008 - 05:44 PM

Checked the Wiki link. From what I understand, I can create a Live Boot disk and recover data that way. Ok, now my question is how do I do that? Once I get on using the Live Boot, how do I access the C drive partition and transfer the files I want to save to the flash drive?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 17 October 2008 - 05:59 PM

Seems like lots of alternatives, http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=r...mp;aq=f&oq=

Louis

#6 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2008 - 04:32 PM

Checked the Wiki link. From what I understand, I can create a Live Boot disk and recover data that way. Ok, now my question is how do I do that? Once I get on using the Live Boot, how do I access the C drive partition and transfer the files I want to save to the flash drive?

Many of the bootup environments like they create at BootLand have a mini-explorer so you can drag & drop files.
You'd need USB support so that you can write to the flash drive or pen drive or usb external drive or whatever.

Unfortunately most of these rescue CDs work best if you set them up before you need them.
The other unfortunate thing is they should have kept and improved the floppy disk. It's
about the simplest way to boot up a dud PC and write a small amount of very crucial info
(that wouldn't be oh so small if they increased the capacity to 100 MB or so.) Any "boot floppy"
Dos based emergency disk that depends on being able to write to the floppy disk no longer works
just for that reason(you burn them to CD but you still can't write.. only read.)

If the data is really critical you can pull the HD and add to a working PC or take it to a pro.

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users