Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Folder IS Desktop, and 024 - Desktop Component 0: Privacy Protection

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 seanb

seanb

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 17 October 2008 - 11:33 AM

I recently had to deal with a pretty nasty Malware/Virus. i dont know which one, I didn't bother to read the logs of the virus detectors as I was removing it, I just kept working on getting it gone.

I think it's gone now, but i'm left with one annoying side effect. I'm including a screenshot of my desktop. It's a folder. It's actually on TOP of my desktop, and it's a real folder. I can click on the 2 icons there, and they will open. If i try to move any icons around my desktop, it thinks i'm trying to put them INTO that folder.

Posted Image

Now, if i go into hijack this, i find this line, I assume the issues are related.

024 - Desktop Component 0: Privacy Protection (no file)

I cannot remove this with hijackthis. I select it, click Fix, then click scan.... and it's still there. I've got Adaware, Hijackthis (latest), Malwarebites, and none of them seem to care about the issue, or my lack of a desktop.

EDIT: add spybot s&d to the list of programs i've tried. It found a couple registry entries for smitfraud, but it didnt' get me my desktop back.

Attached Files

Edited by seanb, 17 October 2008 - 12:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 seanb

seanb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 17 October 2008 - 01:03 PM

OMG i got it on my own. You have no idea how happy i am. I'm going to post this solution for search and archival purposes.

One of the above programs, not sure which one, finally unlocked the window. Scrolling my mouse to the top of the screen allowed me to pull down the window, and close the little bugger.

WOOHOO!

But i still have the 024 thing in my hijackthis, and it still wont remove. I'd appreciate help on this one just for peace of mind.

Edited by seanb, 17 October 2008 - 02:22 PM.

#3 chryssi2001

chryssi2001

• Members
  • 1,930 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 27 October 2008 - 09:34 AM

Hello seanb,

I apologise for the delay, the forum is too busy.

If you still need help, post a new HijackThis log following my instructions below.
----------------------------------------------
RENAME HIJACKTHIS

Using Windows Explore by right-clicking the Start button and left clicking Explore navigate to:
C:\Documents and Settings\Chanel\Desktop\desktop backup\mvid\HiJackThis.exe

Right-click on HijackThis.exe & select Rename to scanner.exe and post back a new Hijackthis log.
Posted Image
Private Messages for personal support will be ignored. If you need help post in the forum.

#4 chryssi2001

chryssi2001

• Members
  • 1,930 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 02 November 2008 - 02:41 AM

Due to the lack of feedback, this Topic is now closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending the moderating team
a PM with the address of the thread. This applies only to the original topic starter.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.
Posted Image
Private Messages for personal support will be ignored. If you need help post in the forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users