Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it safe to use standby on my desktop?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 joniebee

joniebee

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 17 October 2008 - 11:05 AM

I could really do with some advice regarding my pc and what to do whilst its not in use.I used to just shut down my PC anytime i wasnt going to be on it,Then i began to put it into standby mode if i was going to be elsewhere for a while,And i thought i had cracked it,Perfect the PC looks like its shut down but is infact taking a nap.The problem is i stumbled upon loads of forum posts saying how its a mad idea to use standby mode as it leads to numerous problems,Aarrgghh,What should and shouldnt i do for the best,Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,088 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 17 October 2008 - 11:24 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

It's strictly up to you :flowers:...nothing but user preference.

In my case, I turn on two systems every morn sometime between 0300 hours and 0800 hours (the variation is due only to what my plans are that day).

I'm retired so I have my day to myself. I leave both my systems on until I get ready to go to bed and I never use any of the hibernation or standby functions. I do allow my monitor to turn off if I go 30 minutes without using it...but I don't ever even consider anything but my present scheme. I use my computers as I feel necessary or want to throughout the day (one system is primarily for video-editing, recording TV, editing music) and I seldom have long periods of inactivity for each.

If I leave the apartment and know that I'll be gone for more than 30 minutes or so, I turn them off.

So my guide would be determined by user frequency.

I see hibernation and standby as strategies employed by persons who aren't using their systems consistently...but I could be wrong :trumpet:.

Louis

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 17 October 2008 - 11:25 AM

I was always under the assumption that standby and hibernate was for laptops,where you turn them on and off a lot during the course of the day and you don't want to wait for the whole boot process over and over. Both options can cause problems.
Video drivers and the 2 options do not play nice with each other
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 17 October 2008 - 11:37 AM

These two modes were initially developed for laptops with the aim of decreasing power consumption when not in use.

"Standby is particularly useful for conserving battery power in portable computers. Because Standby does not
save your desktop state to disk, a power failure while on Standby can cause you to lose unsaved information."

http://help.lockergnome.com/windows/Standb...pict561840.html

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 17 October 2008 - 03:25 PM

Standby and Hibernate work just fine on a Desktop PC.
The issue is the same as with a laptop - repeated use may eventually generate a corruption of the information in RAM (for standby) or the hiberfil.sys file (for hibernation) and will result in the loss of data.

When it happens to me, I just select the "Delete restoration data" selection and boot back into Windows. I'll have lost what I was currently working on - but all saved changes will still be there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users