Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Winrar

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kws

kws

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 17 October 2008 - 08:49 AM

I found what I thought was the most uptodate version of WINRAR on CNET and as people are finding out it causes an annoying popup and redirects to well known web sites.
Fix by ADD/REMOVE programs running unistall WINRAR
then remove file explorer.exe in the c:\windows\system32\ directory, note by hovering over this file it identifies itself as winrar, thats the end of the popup.
Go to c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts and edit in notepad, you will see all the sites you cannot access with a fixed IP Address, replace this with hosts.sav if there is one or any backup copy made yourself else get a copy from a friend.
You should now be able to connect to the internet.
In internet explorer on the menu bar select tools/internet options and on the general tab press button delete files, removing any cache version.
Run regedt32
Navigate to :-
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Remove entry pointing at c:\windows\system32\explorer.exe
Reboot and you should be in the same state as me, freeas a bird

Regards

Ken

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 17 October 2008 - 03:28 PM

You should backup your Registry before modifying it though, modifying the registry incorrectly can cause serious damage to your operating system. :thumbsup:

I suggust you download and read about ERUNT if you are going to modify the registry to have an idea of how it works ;)

Downloading and install ERUNT can be found here: http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/
Information on ERUNT can be found here: http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/erunt.txt
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users