Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

error in windows xp

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 richbluemurray

richbluemurray

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 01 May 2005 - 06:37 PM

I have had my computer for a while now (operating system xp home with sevice pack 2).. and it has various programs installed on it… but for some reason now if I am trying to install some programs I get the error message:
16 bit windows subsystem
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose ‘Close’ to terminate the application.

My son & daughter also have computers in their bedrooms.. my son’s computer has the same problem.. my daughter’s does not.
They all have similar programs on them.. I cannot see why this is happening. I have checked to see what program may have been installed on both computers that could cause this.. the only one I can see is ‘champioship manager 03-04’.. surely this game would not cause this problem?

I would be grateful of any help.
richard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 01 May 2005 - 08:19 PM

Make sure that the program is suitable for 32 bit. There are programs for all os, and you must ensure that you have a program compatible with xp.(pay close attention to free programs, and don't check ignore if it comes up).
Spike's advice: Backup your data routinely.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2005 - 08:29 PM

Some of the older programs, especially games, are not written to be compliant with the needs for Win XP. Some may have the option to run in compatability mode.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2005 - 08:31 PM

Hello Richard and welcome to BC

This problem is caused by malware that alters and or deletes some basic system files. The last I heard the program was WinAdTools but that may have changed.

The quick fix is 16 bit_fix.exe. This will eliminate the error for the short term and allow you to install your programs.

For the long term solution, see How to submit a Hijackthis Log. The HJT team here is very knowledgeable and can help you remove this malware.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 richbluemurray

richbluemurray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2005 - 07:47 AM

Thank you Gunner & Enthusiast
I appreciate both of your replies, though I have installed some of these programs before and have previously had no problems.
Thank you Leurgy
Your reply seems to be what I was looking for.. that information was very helpful & useful… really appreciate that.
I can see becoming a member of ‘Bleeping Computer’ is going to be very worthwhile.
Richard

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2005 - 08:15 AM

Your welcome Richard and thanks for posting back. Glad you find your membership worthwhile. Be sure and tell your friends what you found here too.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users