Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Files from DLL Cache

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cap2587

cap2587

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 17 October 2008 - 07:56 AM

This is a follow up to a recent post I put on the forum regarding Missing Files from DLL Cache. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/172408/missing-files-with-service-pack-3/

I recently performed a system File Checker using sfc/scannow. It came back with "files that are required to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache". Insert your service pack 3 CD. I decided to uninstall SP3. I am under the impression from reading info on SP3 that it wasn't meant for PC's running XP Media Center Edition 2002. I wonder if installing that was what caused me to be missing files or corrupted some of my files. I performed the scan again after uninstalling SP3 and it asked me for XP Pro CD # 2 ( very strange considering I have XP MCE). I found a copy of XP Pro and put it in when it asked for it, however it said it was the wrong CD. I then decided to perform a system repair with the XP CD. This seemed to go through fine and do a repair install and keep intact my current programs, files etc.. I ran the SFC / Scannow again and it once again asked me for the XP Pro CD. I put the CD in and seemed to be using the CD to install missing files, until the end when it asked me for the CD again and when I clicked retry it said wrong CD. I think I am jinxed when it comes to successfully completing this system scan. Is it possible for a computer to run the system scan and not have to use their XP CD. My system has been fine with no adverse problems, maybe I shouldn't worry about this. It just frustrates me that I can't complete the SFC Scannow without problems. Hope this wasn't to confusing? Help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,850 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 17 October 2008 - 09:29 AM

Well...you've managed to confuse the system, so it's no surprise to me that system files cannot be properly replaced by sfc /scannow. There's no telling what files are damaged as a result of your well-intentioned efforts.

You've installed system files (and probably registry settings) which were not intended to be there and the result seems to be a hodgepodge of files.

If you are happy with that, it's your decision. SFC is meant to be an aid to users as they encounter problems with corrupt or missing system files. If you feel that you won't ever encounter such situations...I'd say that you are overly optimistic about computing on your system.

If it were me, I would just blow it up and start all over again...via a clean install of only one operating system and subsequent installation of all critical updates.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users