Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please find me the DDE message for Yahoo as the Application

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Kitch

Kitch

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 17 October 2008 - 06:51 AM

About a week ago I tried to install Firefox but got cold feet when it seemed to want to become the default for evrything.
Uninstalled it but it has left a problem in that clicking on internet desktop shortcuts always produces an error message 'Windows cannot find file ...address of shortcut.....Make sure you typed it correctly...etc' BUT then immediately the webpage opens.
Have traced the fault via Windows Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, File Types...scroll down to URL Hypertext Transfer Protocol....highlight this then click Advanced...under Actions highlight Open & then click Edit. Under 'Application used to perform action' is C:\Progra~1\yahoo!\browser\ybrowser.exe....Under Use DDE (Dynamic Data Exchange) is DDE Message.......THIS IS THE DATA I REQUIRE....mine reads "%1",,0,0,,,, but I believe this is the message for Firefox which appeared in the Application underneath
I have changed the Application now to Yahoo in the registry but the the DDE Message remains the same because it too has to be changed in the registry hence my request.
Hope someone can assist otherwise must go to Restore

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kitch

Kitch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 17 October 2008 - 10:45 AM

After quite a bit of delving about the simple solution to the problem is to uncheck the use of DDE for both file types URL Hypertext Transfer Protocol & URL Hypertext Transfer Protocol with Privacy. I can only assume that Firefox must use use a different route to open the shortcuts which is not put back to normal when Firefox is uninstalled
Anyway folks my desktop shortcuts now all open without a pesky error message
:flowers: :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users