Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please help me

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 noxarcana

noxarcana

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 01 May 2005 - 06:00 PM

Okay, i do not know if this is the right place to post this or not, but i am using windows xp.

The problem is that whenever i put in a disk in the drive, the computer makes a few quiet beeps. Then when i go to start the program, it says that i should insert the correct disk when it is in.

I have already went into my computer and it says that there is no cd in the drive and it does this with every cd that i have so its not that it is scratched up or anything like that.

It has been working fine since i got it and it just stopped working. I attempted to look inside, blow out some dust, plug and unplug the cdrom drive. I did get it to work for about a hour or 2 than it happened again. I opened it up again and did the same thing, but it didnt help.

Plz help, i have no idea what is going on with my computer. And even when i go into control panel, device manager and click on the drive, it says that it is working properly.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Winnipeg

Winnipeg

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2005 - 11:59 PM

Sounds like you found the problem, Your reader could be dirty and may need to be cleaned using a drive cleaner. You said you blew all the dust out and it worked for 2 hours.

Take another disk make sure their are no finger prints or dust on the disk and right click > My Computer > Click on the drive for your CD-ROM > On the left side of the computer where is says > System Tasks > click > Eject This Disk. Put in your disk and close the drive and see if it plays the disk.

You don't say how old the CD-ROM is - might just need a good cleaning or you might need a new one.

Let us know how you're doing and someone at the form will get back to you.

Winnipeg :thumbsup:

#3 wayne937

wayne937

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2005 - 08:46 PM

Noxarcana! If the last suggestion did not work I would just replace the drive with a new one. I have replaced three CD-Rom drives lately for friends that theirs just quit working for unknow reasons. You can buy them for around $15.50 at www.directron.com plus shipping of course.

#4 noxarcana

noxarcana
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2005 - 02:08 PM

ok, i havent checked this in a while because i worked for about a week or so. I do not know how old it is or where to clean it if it is just dirty. Does it help about with age if i say what is written on it?

one i 48x24x48x

the other one os 54x max

sry, but this is also a pretty old post to bring back up

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2005 - 04:41 PM

Just get a CD-Rom cleaning disk and run it. If it's old, you may want to just skip that step and get a new one since they're so cheap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users