Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

changed resolution, can't access downloads

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ap1212

ap1212

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 01 May 2005 - 05:49 PM

Hi all,

I have been having a problem with my windows XP home edition for about 2 months. I turned on my computer one day and it said the resolution had been changed and everything on my screen was huge. I couldn't see windows because they were so big and the icons on desktop were much larger than usual. I changed the resolution back to normal and downloaded new display software. I had to do this repeatedly because the resolution would keep changing randomly. I have all up to date forms of ad aware, spy bot, Mcafee, and Ccleaner. No viruses ever come up. Also, the changes that I make are not effective when I reboot in safe mood. Changes have also been made to different settings (internet connections, home pages, accessabilty) that I did not make myself. I have contacted both dell and microsoft and no one seems to be able to tell me what is going on. Today when I tried to get one of my downloads I got error 771. When I tried to look up this information by following a link on microsoft.com, it said it wasn't a valid page. I am very confused and am at my wits end as to what to do.

please help me!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2005 - 06:40 PM

try: tools>internet options>accessibility and play with the formatting options. If that doesn't work, you can change your style sheet.
Spike's advice: Backup your data routinely.

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 01 May 2005 - 09:28 PM

the changes that I make are not effective when I reboot in safe mood.

Screen resolution changes will not make any difference in safe mode as the video drivers are not loaded in that type of boot. Do NOT try to change screen resolution when in safe mode. When you reboot normally the display will (should) come back just as it was before.

If you are getting your homepage hijacked I would suspect spyware -
Do you have any anti-spyware installed? If not download and update all of the following:Reboot your computer in Safe Mode and run the anti-virus scan and anti-spyware scans there.

Also look at some online virus scans (in normal mode) pick at least one of these:
Here are some links to free online Anti-Virus scans. They do take some time to load and run and in some cases you can only use Internet Explorer, with ActiveX enabled, to access them but they are an excellent support for your existing anti-virus program.

Trend Micro online scan "housecall" - http://housecall.antivirus.com/

Panda Active Scan online - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/

BitDefender online scan - http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/licence.php

See if that helps :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 Winnipeg

Winnipeg

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2005 - 08:06 PM

You say no virus found and you have all the latest anti-Spyware programs installed.

Why don't you just use System Restore and restore your computer when it was working right and you had no problems. Then you can run some online scans like Rimmer suggested.

GoTo > Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > scroll down to System Restore. Click restore my computer to an earlier time.

Hope this helps.

Winnipeg :thumbsup:

#5 ap1212

ap1212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2005 - 01:58 AM

Yea, I tried that but that too was also a temp solution. I have done everything that I have read or had suggested. Still...nothing. It might be a problem with the computer and for that someone is coming to look at it. I just reinstalled windows Xp and its still the same problem. Hopefully, it will be fixed!
Thanks for your help!

ap

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users