Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

100% CPU Usage!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JagX22

JagX22

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 17 October 2008 - 12:44 AM

Hi,

I have an HP Pavilion dv8000 notebook, and it has an AMD Turion64 in it. It maxes out at 2.0 Ghz, which I know right off isn't quite the best. It's pretty basic, but it has been good enough for me since I got the computer. However, lately I will be up watching videos on hulu.com and randomly the computer will just abruptly shut off. Without warning, the computer just powers off! I'm not too sure what the problem is but I think it is my processor. I was watching South Park and I noticed the computer started to get a little louder and a little hotter, eventually it sounded like it was really pushing its limits in there so I opened the task manager. I had some 52 processes, and the biggest consumer at that time was Firefox because of the video streaming (122,000k) I think, closely followed by my McCafee Virus protection (58,000kb). I have since gotten rid of the virus protection and replaced it with AVG, which uses much less memory. But, when I ran Spybot it again over-processed and powered itself down. In short, my main problem is the computer has been getting loud and either completely freezing so I can't use the mouse, or powering down completely. I am not sure why though. If there is anything I can do, maybe a software I can download to reduce processes or something I would appreciate any help. Thank you soooooo much!!

John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 17 October 2008 - 09:47 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Sounds like it's overheating.

You might try Cleaning A Laptop Computer - http://mobileoffice.about.com/od/usingyour...cleanlaptop.htm

Louis

#3 JagX22

JagX22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 17 October 2008 - 02:17 PM

Louis,

Thank you for your response. It does seem to be overheating but I have already tried the remedies that the link suggested. Do you think I should try opening up the computer and cleaning the hardware myself? If so, how do I go about doing that?

-John

#4 chrisxa

chrisxa

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 19 October 2008 - 09:05 AM

you really shouldnt open a pc/laptop unless you know what you're doing...

by the way, where are you putting your laptop when you're using it? on a bed? on a sofa? or on a hard flat surface? I recommend the latter since heat is absorbed by the bed/sofa and when they becomes hot it will make your laptop hotter as well since its sitting on a frying pan....make sure that the bottom and the sides are well ventilated. Too much heat will degrade your laptop's performance and ultimately it will die.
Beneath wings of darkness, wings of death, I dwell in shadows,
Here I have found a kingdom, here I have found a princess; the princess of darkness.
She's the only one I fear, my princess wrapped in shadows, my princess beloved.

#5 chrisxa

chrisxa

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 19 October 2008 - 09:05 AM

EDIT: Double post, pls delete

Edited by chrisxa, 19 October 2008 - 09:07 AM.

Beneath wings of darkness, wings of death, I dwell in shadows,
Here I have found a kingdom, here I have found a princess; the princess of darkness.
She's the only one I fear, my princess wrapped in shadows, my princess beloved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users